is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

You mean "morals and common sense" according to what -your- interpretation of "morals and common sense" are.

There are other ways to look at this that have merit, including putting the protection of a living creature first, and looking at it as such rather than as property. That is also "morals and common sense."

First off, I would call Animal Control or the SPCA. The broody hen is definately in danger and there are laws to protect neglected animals. Use the system.

Second, offer to adopt the birds seized by animal control or the SPCA. That is perfectly above-board and a legitimate thing to do. Do not however take so much as an eggshell on your own. Let the proper authorities handle the situation. That's why they're there.

You all are acting as though this particular hen is surrounded by lions, tigers, and bears. Oh my!

Hens go broody in the woods and wild all the time. The original question was is it stealing to put this hen in their coop or not. It is. I know this is a living creature, but fact is, it's not THEIR living creature. And by law, that animal is property. And that property does not belong to them. Does the hen have a chance of being killed? Yes. But fact is, unless they speak to the owner and get his permission, it's none of their business.

Sometimes doing what is right sucks. But I'm assuming the OP is an adult, and therefore should act as such and handle the situation correctly, not like a sneaky kid.

First off, I would call Animal Control or the SPCA. The broody hen is definately in danger and there are laws to protect neglected animals. Use the system.

Second, offer to adopt the birds seized by animal control or the SPCA. That is perfectly above-board and a legitimate thing to do. Do not however take so much as an eggshell on your own. Let the proper authorities handle the situation. That's why they're there.

Although Humane Societies have their place, personally, I would never involve the HS/Animal Control unless I did not know who the animals belonged to. You have no idea if they will even place the animals up for adoption--they could euthanize them once the grace period to find the owners is up. Not all HS/AC are user-friendly. There may not even be one where the OP lives-rural areas are many times serviced by the Sheriff and the last thing they want to do is deal with broody chickens. IMHO its best just to man up and go over and talk to the neighbors, make friends and offer to help them out with the chicken. Why have we become so isolated from each other that we feel compelled to have a third party intervene when we should be able to have a conversation with a neighbor (rhetorical question, no need to answer).

Long story short....my neighbors live on an acre. There is a stand of trees between them and another neighbor who free ranges their flock oegb's. The birds have no coop. They wander all the time. One of the roos and his 2 girls frequently bawk and sqwack cock a doodle doo at all hours in my friends front yard, under her iwndow, etc.
The hens have been laying eggs in a fountain in their front yard so they had been gathering eggs. I told them to stop takinf eggs and see what happens. Well one of the girls went broody and started sitting on the eggs. She has been there overe a week. Exposed to predators.
Would it be stealing if i took her home with me and added her to my flock? What if i only took the babies? I figure if you let your animals roam like that you are risking them anyway.
Am i wrong? I am fully prepared to hear that i am wrong and wont do anything but i am curious what people think. Oh and they dont ever speak to the neigh oe. He is obciously not going to pen his birds since this has been happktening for years.
Yes, without permission of the owner, it is stealing - plain and simple. This saga has been ongoing for better than a week. How is the hen doing? Hatch day can not be that far off. If the OP's timeline is correct, the hen is at least on day 18.

Last edited:
I think the real concern is the lack of care and protection of the birds. If the bird is on the owner's property and someone takes it than that is stealing. If wandering loose - and you feed it - in many jurisdictions - after a period of time it becomes your animal. You could ask them if you could keep the birds and if they say no - than tell them you would like them to keep the birds on their own property, but be mindful of unintended results.

I knew somebody once that complained to their neighbor about Guinea Hens that were tearing up her garden and digging holes all over the place. She hoped her conversation would result in the neighbor penning his birds to his own property, but this lady who I know is kind and loves all birds, also wished to keep her gardens intact. The neighbor said he would take care of it and then he went out and shot all of them. Sometimes we get unintended results.

I would be inclined to just take the bird if if came onto my property, particuarly at night, then you know they don't coop them up at night for safety (despite the rudeness of letting them roam all over the place without agreement). People that don't act responsibly with their animals often end up losing them - and probably don't care - or would never know what happened if one didn't return. I'm surprised they are still all there day after day anyway.

It is hard to say - not knowing the exact situation and those involved, but irresponsible pet (animal) owners irk me to no end.

Wish I could take the rednecks cow. I'm so tired of calling the Sheriff to get that stupid bovine out of the middle of the gosh darn road. GAH!

But, yeah, that's what I would do. Talk to the neighbor about their chickens, constantly. If nothing chances I'd give the chickens to animal control and ask animal control if they can give the chickens to you if they aren't claimed.

Although Humane Societies have their place, personally, I would never involve the HS/Animal Control unless I did not know who the animals belonged to. You have no idea if they will even place the animals up for adoption--they could euthanize them once the grace period to find the owners is up. Not all HS/AC are user-friendly. There may not even be one where the OP lives-rural areas are many times serviced by the Sheriff and the last thing they want to do is deal with broody chickens. IMHO its best just to man up and go over and talk to the neighbors, make friends and offer to help them out with the chicken. Why have we become so isolated from each other that we feel compelled to have a third party intervene when we should be able to have a conversation with a neighbor (rhetorical question, no need to answer).
I'm not sure what kind of positive experiences you have but for me, the people who neglect their animals are the people who are mean as snakes when confronted about it.

I don't know EM, but I sort of am leaning to the argument to take the hen and the eggs, let them hatch, keep the chicks and release the hen. I think protecting the hen and chicks takes priority here.

Back
Top Bottom