Isbar thread

Hello everyone I'm Pam I've had my Isbars for one year next month. I'd like some opinions on Midas. I think he is a very nice looking Rooster. I'm curious to what long time owners think of him.Love his temperament too.

I know the angles on my photos aren't the best. Pam

Last edited:
My little isbars were an order for 1 blue and 1 splash and 19 queen Silvia's. I got an extra isbar. Should be interesting to see how it grows out. I assumed it was my splash. What should a splash chick look like?

I've got 5 baby Isbars from GFF second importation. With my own "gender guessing" I think I have 2 boys and 3 girls. Time will tell better that I can though! I think I'm addicted to baby chicks :)

Cute chicks! It is a little too early to determine sex yet. The one pictured above is most likely a mottled "Isbar". It will probably be very pretty, but should not be used in a purebred breeding program.

A friend of mine is going to give me a pair of isbars soon a splash boy and a blue girl.
I really like project colors and was wondering if it would be a big no no to try and introduce new colors into the breed?
I see no problem with project colors as long as you keep them separate from a purebred breeding program and clearly disclose them as projects to anyone that gets offspring from you. I am working on a project color myself. What color do you want to work on?

Okay- So, I have my Isbar breeding pen all set up. I have a beautiful black roo with silver over four black hens, three blue hens and two splash hens. How long should I wait before I can be sure they will be purely isbar. Two weeks? Three weeks? Last thing I want to do is sell someone bum eggs or chicks.

They are all such beautiful egg layers. Luckily, I have no tan layers.

:)
That depends on who you listen to. For me, I wait at least 30 days. If I am able, I will actually separate the hens from the cocks and then check all eggs for fertility until they are not fertile for at least a week, then put them back together.

Here are my newbies from GFF last week- Beautiful little isbars-

Very cute!
love.gif
Your center chick does not look like splash to me. You should be seeing some blue coming in on the feathers by now. If you do not see the blue color very soon, I would question whether or not that is an Isbar. Here is a picture of one of my week old splash chicks:

I had two that laid grey eggs but after washing they were olive colored. The bloom can throw the true color off. Pam
Congratulations on your eggs!
clap.gif
As long as the inside of the shell is blue, you are good to go. You may need to remove both of the white membranes to see the blue.

Hello everyone I'm Pam I've had my Isbars for one year next month. I'd like some opinions on Midas. I think he is a very nice looking Rooster. I'm curious to what long time owners think of his.Love his temperament too.

I know the angles on my photos aren't the best. Pam
He looks very handsome! I would like to see more green in the legs, but that can be fixed by pairing him with hens that have green or slate/yellow legs. One of the most important things, though certainly not the only thing, to be concerned with in a cock is that he carries the blue egg gene, preferably 2 copies. To test for this, put a white or brown egg laying hen in with him. Hatch the eggs and grow up at least 10 of the pullets to laying age. If all of them lay blue or green eggs, then he is very likely to be homozygous for the blue egg gene (has 2 copies). If some lay blue/green and some lay brown, then he is heterozygous (carries only 1 copy). If none of them lay blue/green, then he most likely does not carry the blue egg gene.

Back
Top Bottom