Isbar thread

Hello All!
I'm new to BYC but have been following this thread for a couple weeks. I bought some 'Isbar' chicks recently but I'm questioning whether that's what I received. Could you please help with your opinions? I love all I have read about the Isbars and am hoping for the best. Thanks!!!!

These are my 4 week olds

These are my four 6 week olds in front (I think the blue is an Isbar; the 3 blacks I was told were 'black splash' however one has a muff so I'm thinking Ameraucana)

New to Isbars myself but from what i have gathered the 2nd imports can be quite inconsistent on appearance.

Thanks for your responses! I questioned the black ones when I got them and was told they would grow out with 'white splash' on the tips of their feathers.

I also hatched some Isbar chicks; I have 2 splash and one blue that are 3 weeks old now. (I will try to get some good pics to post).

And 12 eggs on order to be delivered mid May......

Yes my DH is sick of hearing about Isbars lol
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks for your responses! I questioned the black ones when I got them and was told they would grow out with 'white splash' on the tips of their feathers.
Those are not splash, they are mottled.
duc.gif
Mottled is not a correct color for Silverudd's Blues (formerly Isbars), but there are some breeders working on them as a project color.

I also hatched some Isbar chicks; I have 2 splash and one blue that are 3 weeks old now. (I will try to get some good pics to post).
Congrats on your chicks! As the splash grow out you will note a marked difference between those and your mottled birds.
wink.png

And 12 eggs on order to be delivered mid May...... Good luck with your hatch!
fl.gif

Yes my DH is sick of hearing about Isbars lol
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Then start calling them by the name adopted a couple of weeks ago in Sweden for this breed - Silverudd's Blue!
lol.png
Here is the thread where I explain the change:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1090421/silverudds-blue/0_20

I'm going to read this thread.

I have 13 that are 3 months old. All the little pullets are light blue.
I have a splash roo, and some darker roo's.
Trying to decide to just stick with the blues or throw the dark roo in.
Why don't you post some pictures of them so we can help you decide which ones are the best representation of the breed? We'd be happy to help!
big_smile.png

I could cross in a bantam silver penciled rock and make blue silver penciled isbars, I think I might go that route first.
Ooooh!!! That sounds pretty! Be sure to post pictures along the way.
pop.gif

A friend of mine has a Blue Isbar rooster.. and she isn't zoned for roosters... so she wants me to take him. Does anyone have any experience with them? How is their temperament upon maturity? Also, they are listed as being very cold hardy, but those combs and wattles!!! I worry about them being prone to frost bite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
big_smile.png
The Silverudd's Blue (formerly Isbar) is one of the most docile breeds I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few. They are also very intelligent and are good at staying away from the troublemakers when necessary. However, they are not pushovers and will stand their ground when necessary. I, too, have had a couple lose the points on their combs during the wild winters we have had the last couple of years, but it has not adversely affected them.
Hello All!
I'm new to BYC but have been following this thread for a couple weeks. I bought some 'Isbar' chicks recently but I'm questioning whether that's what I received. Could you please help with your opinions? I love all I have read about the Isbars and am hoping for the best. Thanks!!!!

These are my 4 week olds

These look like Silverudd's Blues (formerly Isbars) form wise, but the black in the back looks to be mottled. I am guessing that both of them are cockerels.
These are my four 6 week olds in front (I think the blue is an Isbar; the 3 blacks I was told were 'black splash' however one has a muff so I'm thinking Ameraucana)
The second import stock is quite variable and carries many undesirable genes (like muffs and/or beards, small combs and wattles, mottling, etc.) that you will want to weed out in your breeding program if you do plan to breed. As the mottling gene is recessive and requires 2 copies (1 from each parent) to express, even your solid birds could be carriers. You will want to test breed them to find that out.

[COLOR=006400]Why don't you post some pictures of them so we can help you decide which ones are the best representation of the breed? We'd be happy to help! [/COLOR]:D
[COLOR=800080]Ooooh!!! That sounds pretty! Be sure to post pictures along the way. [/COLOR]:pop
[COLOR=8B4513]The Silverudd's Blue (formerly Isbar) is one of the most docile breeds I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few. They are also very intelligent and are good at staying away from the troublemakers when necessary. However, they are not pushovers and will stand their ground when necessary. I, too, have had a couple lose the points on their combs during the wild winters we have had the last couple of years, but it has not adversely affected them.[/COLOR]
I will be sure to post pictures along the way

Here's a couple pics of my current roo. He is 20 wks in this pic. I think he is beautiful, but I'm new to this breed.

Here is a blue cockerel that is about 3 wks in this pic. He's gonna be nice too I think.

Last edited:
I was thinking the 'mottled' was not the correct color. So would you call that bird a Silverudd Blue? Interestingly I believe it is also 'rumpless' as shown in the following pictures. (and I think only Araucanas are rumpless)??

I was considering starting a breeding program but would definitely not use any of the black birds.

Back
Top Bottom