Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

This is how I do it..I use something that I can poke holes in the bottom. There is
LL
a great thread..just type in fodder thread. :D This is the first photo on there. I love this! I mean, I literally love this! It tastes like sweet peas in a pod when you use wheat. :)
I tried to read it but I am a little naive don't get things that easy. They said in a cat litter put some seed. The thing is what seed and where do I get it. I'm trying to do a home incubator for months now, I end up buying a new one. Lol I guess it's the age

I tried to read it but I am a little naive don't get things that easy. They said in a cat litter put some seed. The thing is what seed and where do I get it.
I'm trying to do a home incubator for months now, I end up buying a new one. Lol I guess it's the age

I just buy the wheat in the grocery store..that folks use for storage. I think I have the red wheat. I used a plastic bin..about the size of a 9X9..like a cake pan size. I drilled holes in the bottom for the water to strain out. It's really easy to do. I am thinking that the aluminum pans would work. Easier to put holes in the bottom. You soak the wheat overnight in a bowl. In the morning, I spread a very small amount on the bottom of the pan. You don't want it to dry out..so..have a spray bottle ready. Keep it damp. You will go and run water over it a couple of times a day. Let it drain well.
You do want it put close by to a window, but not right in front of it. So, a lighted room but not right on it. You will see sprouts starting pretty quick. When I said I put a small amount on the bottom, I mean enough to cover the bottom. If you put too much/thick, then you get more roots than green. You will get roots anyway, but my chickens eat that too.. no problem. :) You don't want it to get moldy. So, be careful that the room is not a real warm room. This is going to be damp always. A room in the low 70's works well for me.

So my first hatch went extremely well and I'm excited to say I have one Chinese created chicken egg in my bator put in tonight I got from a friend at work :) tmrw I pick up 3 dozen of silkie,polish and EE then Monday I will put in 24 barn yard mix I like the 2 day difference between hatches worked great this time so I say if it ain't broke don't fix it oh also I dry hatch love it I can't say this enough if you havnt tried it do!!!!!

I have not yet tried fermenting, but I do use homemade lacto bacillus (pro-biotic). It causes them to need less feed overall by helping them to absorb more of the nutrients! I also feed them the cheese that this method makes, they love it. and the liquid is sprayed on the soil, and in the straw/poop litter pile. this guy explains it very well:

Better pic of Mammy trying to get stomach shots. Maybe someone more expierienced can tell me if she is pregnant or not
Good Grief you have had a tough week....I'm sorry.
I use to breed and show sheep........loved it............
My best guess is she is with lamb. Do you know to watch(and feel) for when she bags up?
This will happen a few days prior to delivery. Bag and teats fill out. Sometimes only a little if it is a first...........
Also, when she is close, you should be able to feel the lamb move when you hold your hand on her tummy.
Good Luck.........
big_smile.png

I just buy the wheat in the grocery store..that folks use for storage.  I think I have the red wheat.  I used a plastic bin..about the size of a 9X9..like a cake pan size.  I drilled holes in the bottom for the water to strain out.  It's really easy to do.  I am thinking that the aluminum pans would work.  Easier to put holes in the bottom.  You soak the wheat overnight in a bowl.  In the morning, I spread a very small amount on the bottom of the pan. You don't want it to dry out..so..have a spray bottle ready.  Keep it damp. You will go and run water over it a couple of times a day.  Let it drain well. 
    You do want it put close by to a window, but not right in front of it.  So, a lighted room but not right on it.  You will see sprouts starting pretty quick.  When I said I put a small amount on the bottom, I mean enough to cover the bottom. If you put too much/thick, then you get more roots than green.  You will get roots anyway, but my chickens eat that too.. no problem.   :)  You don't want it to get moldy.  So, be careful that the room is not a real warm room.  This is going to be damp always.  A room in the low 70's works well for me.  

So you don't put dirt in it only the wheat. Does it looks like seeds?

Well Fuzzy is my only chick to hatch. I learned a lot and even did my first eggtopsies.
Does anyone have any advice on how to raise a single chick?? I am looking for anyone close to me who might have a friend or two for my little one, but not sure how that will pan out. Anyone near Lima, Ohio??
:)

I'm in Roseville,Oh...but that may be a bit further than you want to go. I have chicks hatching today.

Omg... Day 15 and 7 (two staggered hatches), and the breaker had tripped at some point after 5pm-ish and the whole room where the incubator is was dark!! I discovered it at 9:30pm - I about had a heart attack! All I know is sometime within the span of 5 hours the room went dark. The incubator was between 70-80, and the eggs felt warm to the touch. I hope the babies are ok!! I guess I will find out at the first batch's lockdown this Tuesday... *sigh* ... Sadness. I hope they are ok. I will post an update at lockdown.

They will be fine. I had temp swings from 50-116 & still managed to hatch. I have a batch hatching now that was unplugged for several hiurs at a time at least 4 times. I think temps were down around 55F during 2 of those episodes. They were due the 21st & started pipping last night. If anything, yours will just hatch a little late.

Soy? I just read from a gal on BYC..no soy for chickens.   :/    Just throw out the seeds..they will eat it.  I've only done fodder..I haven't tried fermenting.  I don't have the place for that.  

Soy is used in a lot of poultry feed.  You can buy soy free but it's more expensive.

Soy is toxic unless cooked or fermented. That's the main reason I ferment. It makes the soy usable to the birds.

Good Grief you have had a tough week....I'm sorry.
I use to breed and show sheep........loved it............
My best guess is she is with lamb. Do you know to watch(and feel) for when she bags up?
This will happen a few days prior to delivery. Bag and teats fill out. Sometimes only a little if it is a first...........
Also, when she is close, you should be able to feel the lamb move when you hold your hand on her tummy.
Good Luck.........:D

We think it's to early to tell we want to get an ultrasound in march when she's further along. She is so cute except that her one ear ripped cause of the tag.

Back
Top Bottom