Janoel Incubation Experience

Haha thanks man. I love the chickens, but I'm still partial to the ducks.

I don't understand a month without candling if you are only going to be gone for 2 weeks? Maybe wherever you are going, you can take you flashlight into convenience stores and candle the eggs in the cartons lol!!

So here's the one that pipped first, came out second.

And shortly after that, the turkey hatched!

Would you look at the feet on that dude!! Sasquatch!!! lol
Wow, look at them feet!

I am on lockdown as of today. I fly out in 2 weeks to Vancouver, and will be in Vancouver for 2 weeks. So I wont be setting my next batch for another month or longer (if who ever picks my eggs store them properly)

You know... I just might have to take your advice about the store candling.. Just for the reactions of people. Even better, I should walk into a grocery with my incubator and ask someone working there where the egg section is.
lau.gif

Wow, look at them feet!

I am on lockdown as of today. I fly out in 2 weeks to Vancouver, and will be in Vancouver for 2 weeks. So I wont be setting my next batch for another month or longer (if who ever picks my eggs store them properly)

You know... I just might have to take your advice about the store candling.. Just for the reactions of people. Even better, I should walk into a grocery with my incubator and ask someone working there where the egg section is.
lau.gif

Ah, ok that makes sense! I feel for ya. I'm not sure when I'll set my next batch, or even what that might be. The lavender orps or quail... hmmmmm

And what a hilarious idea!! Taking the incubator into a store. Imagine how many wouldn't even know what you were talking about though!
idunno.gif

My first little guy made it out~!
wee.gif

This one pipped second, but came out first. The first pipper is still working on it.
How adorable is this? LOL

We were just talking about ducks! We think they would be sweet to have as slug getters on the farm. How far can they travel during the day and still get back to their pen? The. turkey pick is really sweet. All your photos are excellent

celebrate.gif

Ah, ok that makes sense! I feel for ya. I'm not sure when I'll set my next batch, or even what that might be. The lavender orps or quail... hmmmmm

And what a hilarious idea!! Taking the incubator into a store. Imagine how many wouldn't even know what you were talking about though!
idunno.gif
I will send you candeling energy. I think the lavenders would be beautiful but quail would be sooo cute! little tiny eggs and tiny babies. OH MY! I will probably do a year with quail and sell the eggs to the local fine restaurants.
wee.gif

I will send you candeling energy. I think the lavenders would be beautiful but quail would be sooo cute! little tiny eggs and tiny babies. OH MY! I will probably do a year with quail and sell the eggs to the local fine restaurants.
wee.gif
That's a good idea for the Quail eggs, do you have many restaurants locally that offer them? I know we have a few here, but not enough to make it worth it with quail feed consumption/conversion

Quail might be small but can they ever eat a lot. That goes the same for Grouse and Pheasants. They are flying little pigs.

That's a good idea for the Quail eggs, do you have many restaurants locally that offer them? I know we have a few here, but not enough to make it worth it with quail feed consumption/conversion

Quail might be small but can they ever eat a lot. That goes the same for Grouse and Pheasants. They are flying little pigs.
Who'd a thunk it! I could tractor them, BUT I will do some research. I have a ton of sushi places here and probably 10 restaurants that would run specials on them if I were offering. Enough to pay to do it for fun for a bit, that's all.

Hatching them would be fun. Hubby talking about ducks!!!!! My daughter and I really want to do them. Need to do some research.
wink.png

Who'd a thunk it! I could tractor them, BUT I will do some research. I have a ton of sushi places here and probably 10 restaurants that would run specials on them if I were offering. Enough to pay to do it for fun for a bit, that's all.

Hatching them would be fun. Hubby talking about ducks!!!!! My daughter and I really want to do them. Need to do some research.
wink.png
You never know, you might just have a big niche market for quail eggs in your area. Just hope there isn't too much of a demand, you might be stuck collecting quail eggs for the rest of your life
he.gif
haha

I am sooooo tempted to do a few ducks.

I am thinking when I get back, I will throw some in the incubator (not tell my wife).
She cant get mad once she see's how darn cute they are!
fl.gif
Right?

She was all for doing pheasants, so i'm excited about that!

What kind of ducks do you think you would do?
I would have to do some research too (while my wife was sleeping of course)
I'm not to educated on them.

Speaking of adorable little ducklings, here is my 3rd little guy. His/her name is Opie.

The last possibly viable one that I have left is the egg in the corner, I guess Opie thought it might come out if he sat on it! It has broken a hole, but it missed the air sac, so its pipped out the side. You can almost see the hole... between Opie's leg and butt. It has been (and still is) chirping loudly and seems to not be in distress yet. Has been pipped for about 36 hours. It had also made a little progress as of this morning, it knocked another little chunk of shell off. If Opie will leave it alone while I'm at work today, it just might make it out on its own. I left him in there for encouragement. I hope that was the right call! I may have to break the air sac end off, but I'm gonna give it a little more time. It was soooo close to the air sac. Just barely missed it, so I hope it eventually finds it.

WVDuckChick

Maybe you can recommend dome ducks for us. Tell us about your favorite breeds and why?

Well, I really don't know! My sister in law has always had chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc, but I never really wanted any. Then she had some extra roosters and talked me into taking some. She also brought me 3 ducks because I've always said her ducks were my favorite. Ling story shortened, I lost those ducks to the snow storm this winter but decided I wanted to hatch some. So I found some Swedish eggs nearby, looked up the breed and thought they would be lovely for me. So that's what I have lol!

I would say to look on one of the hatchery sites to get some ideas, alot depends on your use for the ducks.

P.S. My last one that pipped the hole in the wrong place hatched on its own today. Was out when I got home from work. Either on his own or the last one in there with him helped! Yeah!!! I'm done... With this round.

Back
Top Bottom