JANUARY 2015 Hatch-A-Long

Peppermint- taken today 10 weeks old. Roo?
Renee is peppermint barring more dark or more greyish? If the barring is more greyish than blackish its usually a roo. Is the comb getting definate points? If I was to guess I would say roo, but I am definitely not an expert on sex in lol

Last edited:
I do have some multiples. The silkies take so long to figure out. Like 3 months. I have noticed that some of my week olds are starting comb development. Too bad they aren't all auto sexing. I need to grow them out to see who is a nice looking roo for breeding and have a backup. But, my Greenfire auctions I bought have like 9 roo's so I will have extras.

Then I have my lonely rhodebar roo. He thinks he is a silky. His fellow crew arrived frozen and the female hatched grossly deformed. So, he's representing his kind.

I do have some multiples. The silkies take so long to figure out. Like 3 months. I have noticed that some of my week olds are starting comb development. Too bad they aren't all auto sexing. I need to grow them out to see who is a nice looking roo for breeding and have a backup. But, my Greenfire auctions I bought have like 9 roo's so I will have extras.

Then I have my lonely rhodebar roo. He thinks he is a silky. His fellow crew arrived frozen and the female hatched grossly deformed. So, he's representing his kind. 
How sweet with the Rhode bar thinking he's a silkie. I have 4-3 wk old silkie mixes, no indicators with those for a while. Wish they all could come with that auto sexing feature too. Would save us all tons of money feeding them lol

Renee is peppermint barring more dark or more greyish? If the barring is more greyish than blackish its usually a roo. Is the comb getting definate points? If I was to guess I would say roo, but I am definitely not an expert on sex in lol
see I'm not really sure. I don't have one the same age to compare it to which I think would make it easier. In comparing it to my barred rock hen and pics from when she was 10 weeks they look the same in color (more black then grey) however Peppermints comb is much bigger and pink/red and has bright red wattles whereas Snuggles was still yellow and she had no wattles at all at 10 weeks. And I can't be sure Peppermint is a pure Barred rock. I got that egg from a backyard flock that may have been mixed, I didn't ask enough questions. As of right now I am considering it a roo so maybe I won't get attached (kinda hard though) since I can't keep roos. :(

see I'm not really sure. I don't have one the same age to compare it to which I think would make it easier. In comparing it to my barred rock hen and pics from when she was 10 weeks they look the same in color (more black then grey) however Peppermints comb is much bigger and pink/red and has bright red wattles whereas Snuggles was still yellow and she had no wattles at all at 10 weeks. And I can't be sure Peppermint is a pure Barred rock. I got that egg from a backyard flock that may have been mixed, I didn't ask enough questions. As of right now I am considering it a roo so maybe I won't get attached (kinda hard though) since I can't keep roos. :(
It's possible it's a mix then, the light to dark barring rule probably doesn't apply then. Don't quote me on that though. I had 2 mixed barred rock, just got rid of the 6 wk old today. They were definitely more greyish barring, but their mom was bred by a totally white roo. All I know is the 6 wk old developed a comb much faster than the 8 wk old, plus it was pink already. Got rid of one, will just have to wait and see with the other one.

Here are my 3 chicks I hatched in January.
The two reds are EE over red sex links and the black is EE over EE.

I think the black and red on the right may be Roos...what do you think?

Here are my 3 chicks I hatched in January.
The two reds are EE over red sex links and the black is EE over EE.

I think the black and red on the right may be Roos...what do you think?

sorry I'm no help in the Sexing department, I still can't figure out mine. Yours look so much bigger than mine that hatched January 24th. I'm thinking my EE is a roo but it has a single comb so that's throwing me off because I thought EEs had pea combs :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom