JANUARY 2015 Hatch-A-Long

So I just candled....Day 8. The "longs" are all blue and I'm having trouble seeing anything. One definitely has something in there, not sure about the other five. All six BO eggs have veining/embryo visible! So cool! This is my 2nd attempt (my first was last year, using several collected eggs from my hens by a stray roo, none were viable). I now understand how people get addicted.....! :weee

I've read somewhere on this site to use your flashlight app on your phone. I tried it with my December hatch-a-long and it worked great. I have one of those Brinsea scope things & I never saw half as good as I could with the flashlight app. I have EE's and I was able to see in my greens & blues.

I've read somewhere on this site to use your flashlight app on your phone. I tried it with my December hatch-a-long and it worked great. I have one of those Brinsea scope things & I never saw half as good as I could with the flashlight app. I have EE's and I was able to see in my greens & blues.
X 2 on the flashlight app. I haven't been able to find one that beats it since I started using mine. Even the Mag light was a little weaker. Good luck everyone, hope all is going well.

I really hope that incubator gives you a better hatch rate. Thanks so much for the prayers. I had my surgery and feel good. Now it's just a matter of waiting to get out of here. I hate staying in hospitals any more then I have to. Can't get any rest here unless you are under anesthesia.
Keep us posted on your eggs. I'm anxious to know how you do!

I was thinking about you all day! Didn't think we'd hear from you so soon! You must be bored without the kids and noise around! Don't blame you for wanting to break out of there!

I think the cabinet will work out great!!! I was up until the wee hours last night because we had highup winds and after I turned my eggs in the Hovabator I could not get them to break 98...I wrapped it in bubble wrap....put up the blinds around it...my kitchen looks like a obstacle course! So, today after running the cabinet last eve and all night...man, that thing was easy. I loaded up the eggs from Monday...they went in first...then the poopy ones I set Thursday....then I added Farmer Brown's mystery eggs that I decided not to eat but see if they would hatch...just for kicks!

...and that's where I am at. i did re-arrange my chickens tho....put my black silkies with my white silkies that were from November...poor lil black silkies huddled in the corner... I bought an outdoor chicken hutch and decided it wasn't weather worthy and put it up inside instead.

...and I should not be allowed to E-Bay on minimum sleep because I bid on 3 eggs auctions! I am all in!

X 2 on the flashlight app. I haven't been able to find one that beats it since I started using mine. Even the Mag light was a little weaker. Good luck everyone, hope all is going well.

I have the Brinsea Scope...yellow light with the covering black scope...It's great for little eggs....anything bigger won't fit! Other than that I do like it. I was having a hard time with the cell phone light...But, it's all trial and error to find our style...

I'd love to have an incubator that holds 300 eggs, but then someone would have to commit my husband (I'd be in heaven :p ).

Speaking of my husband, he insisted on buying a $40 flashlight last week, which I thought was ridiculous, until we got it home. I can't remember what brand that little jewel is, but its bright as all get out and works perfectly for egg candling (so its mine now, mwahahaha) :oops:

I was thinking about you all day! Didn't think we'd hear from you so soon! You must be bored without the kids and noise around!  Don't blame you for wanting to break out of there!

I think the cabinet will work out great!!!   I was up until the wee hours last night because we had highup winds and after I turned my eggs in the Hovabator I could not get them to break 98...I wrapped it in bubble wrap....put up the blinds around it...my kitchen looks like a obstacle course!  So, today after running the cabinet last eve and all night...man, that thing was easy.  I loaded up the eggs from Monday...they went in first...then the poopy ones I set Thursday....then I added Farmer Brown's mystery eggs that I decided not to eat but see if they would hatch...just for kicks!

...and that's where I am at. i did re-arrange my chickens tho....put my black silkies with my white silkies that were from November...poor lil black silkies huddled in the corner...  I bought an outdoor chicken hutch and decided it wasn't weather worthy and put it up inside instead.

...and I should not be allowed to E-Bay on minimum sleep because I bid on 3 eggs auctions! I am all in!
I'm hoping it all works out for you!

Yes I was stocking BYC in between the little naps I got throughout the day. I was bored and tired all day. They gave me some good drugs so I felt fine and I was so ready to go home and so they let me!

I had my neighboring coming over to check on the incubator and turn the eggs. I'm not sure what happened but at about 5pm she texted saying the thermometer was reading 104. I was kinda sad at first but then thought the thermometer is quite possibly not all that accurate so I have some hope. Finally got home an hour and a half later and decided I was gonna look in a couple eggs (as tonight was going to be candling night anyway) I picked up one of the biggest we have in there first and it appeared clear so I picked up the smallest and managed to see good veins, the eye, and I'm pretty sure it was moving. Didn't wanna look too long though. Then I went to work on dropping the temp. It probably took me 3 hours! :/ it kept jumping back up every time I lowered it.

Anyway I have decided I'll weigh the eggs in the morning as per my plan and we will candle tomorrow evening when the kids are home from my in laws! Keep your fingers crossed I have some chickies that survived my kidney stone!

Back
Top Bottom