January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

The bantam

I was thinking my candling has been so bad that I haven't removed any eggs. The remaining 3 eggs, one I'd put a cross on when candling as I thought it was suspect. One was white and the other pale ones I'd been able to see when candling so I was thinking that one was suspect. The third was really dark and I'd not been able to see anything. So we decided to bring them in as I don't want to have bad eggs exploding over my chicks. I thought I could hear faint tapping in the dark one but DH wasn't sure. With a brighter light we could see the air sac at the end and made a tiny hole in about the area it should be trying to break out. Little chick inside cheeping and looks fine so have put that one back under mum. Did the same with the other 2. One just looked like scrambled egg. The white one looked like scrambled egg with a blob in it and stank really bad and made me feel ill. Glad we didn't leave that one under mum. Hopefully chick number 8 will make it.

I couldnt wait..I grabbed the 3 blue/green egg chickies out. I saw movement in the 2 white but couldnt see in the 2 Marans. I wonder if some breeds just develop quicker in incubation

I put the 6 eggs I have left out of 12 into lockdown on Thursday night. No movement yet. I keep hoping that I see something soon. They were shipped eggs. 3 were not fertile and 3 were quitters. One of them has a smaller airspace but there was movement inside when I checked before lockdown. I hope to have 6 chicks in the next few days. I have the clear plastic sheet with the temp sensor on it laying on top of the eggs. Will the chicks get tangled in it?

I was thinking my candling has been so bad that I haven't removed any eggs. The remaining 3 eggs, one I'd put a cross on when candling as I thought it was suspect. One was white and the other pale ones I'd been able to see when candling so I was thinking that one was suspect. The third was really dark and I'd not been able to see anything. So we decided to bring them in as I don't want to have bad eggs exploding over my chicks. I thought I could hear faint tapping in the dark one but DH wasn't sure. With a brighter light we could see the air sac at the end and made a tiny hole in about the area it should be trying to break out. Little chick inside cheeping and looks fine so have put that one back under mum. Did the same with the other 2. One just looked like scrambled egg. The white one looked like scrambled egg with a blob in it and stank really bad and made me feel ill. Glad we didn't leave that one under mum. Hopefully chick number 8 will make it.
I had a young hen that wouldn't kick out the rotten eggs and one exploded under her. She smelled like a dead carcass. I was gagging trying to clean the other eggs and wipe her down a bit.

Chick number 8 didn't make. Looks like she crushed the shell and abandoned it. It still had yolk to absorb so needed a little more time but it was just too far behind the others. The first hatched Wednesday-Thursday night so this one looked like it needed maybe 3 days longer than the first one did.

The last 3 hatched...1 blk from BCM, 2 yellow from white Leghorn. The fact the 2 are yellow tells me they were from the white Leghorn hens not the brown. Then here's another pic from the 3 chicks hatched earlier from the blue green eggs...judging by looks 2 from EE eggs & 1 from the Legbar. The very last egg, a BCM is not going to hatch, I opened it and it quit halfway maybe. So 6 out of 7 is not bad at all, finally got some of my own homegrown chickies:) It is odd though the time difference on the first 3 to the last 3 when they were all set at the same time on 1-2

Back
Top Bottom