January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
Wakey wakey Quacker Jack, time to get quacking and grow!

Happy Dance GIF

Update time (4) :jumpy

I will preface by saying that this update is a little sad 🙁 It will get better, though

————————————————

@QueenofKings I’m sorry to say that Turmeric didn’t make it. 24+ hours after internal pip, they hadn’t made an external pip, so I gave them a safety hole. They were fine for many hours, but sometime during the night, the poor baby accidentally covered their safety hole with their body, and they didn’t have the egg tooth to make a new pip :hmm

@NagemTX The same thing happened to Howard. I gave them a safety hole, and during the night, the baby accidentally covered the hole. However, they weren’t in the right position to make a new pip - it was almost like an in between of a normal positioning and “bill away from air cell.” They had an egg tooth. If only they’d been positioned right :(

Turmeric was a bright yellow, like Laffy, and Howard a bit darker, like Peach. I’ve laid them both to rest together in my front yard. May they rest in peace.

I feel pretty bad that I wasn’t there to help, but I can’t really fault myself for being asleep, either :confused: I really thought they’d be okay.

One thing that’s made me feel better, though, is a few hours later, I had some friends visit my lake - TWO friends.
IMG_1083.jpeg

I’d like to believe this is Turmeric and Howard visiting in spirit. They stuck around for a couple minutes before taking off.

————————————————

Whew.. on a brighter note, the other 3 eggs have hatched just fine :)

@ElfenLied89 and @Nero70002 Michael Quackson was the first to hatch! They were given a safety hole after not pipping in time. 24 hours later, I did a partial assist to check out their progress, and they still had a little bit of veining + were chewing, so I gave them time to rest. A couple hours later, they were clearly trying to zip, but I noticed they had no egg tooth, so I ended up having to finish the hatch for them. I’ve given them the official name of Prickly Pear, but they will always be Michael Quackson in spirit!
IMG_1099.jpeg

@Debbie292d Egg 21 was the first to pip, but second to hatch. 36 hours after their initial pip, they hatched all by themself with no assistance necessary! Such a strong ducky. I’ve given them the name Banana Split.
IMG_1124.jpeg

@fluffycrow Egg 19 was also given a safety hole. 27 hours later, I did a partial assist, and they were clearly not ready yet. Super strong veining + chewing, so I gave them a lot of time to rest. They sat still for a whopping 16 hours before finally attempting to hatch. They did a lot of work, but got stuck part way, so I finished the hatch for them. I’ve given them the name Guava Marmalade.
IMG_1135.jpeg

And of course, pictures of them all dried off
IMG_1137.jpeg

First meeting with Laffy and Peach
IMG_1157.jpeg

Laffy trying to steal the show
IMG_1171.jpeg

Also, if you’re curious, I am working on drawings for each of the new ducklings, but I haven’t gotten around to finishing them yet. I’ll make a new post later today / tomorrow with the drawings.

One extra picture of Laffy and Peach - I think this is my favorite one so far!
IMG_1186.jpeg

As for the remaining eggs

@ElfenLied89 and @Antiocheggers Quack Sparrow is looking really good! They’re definitely getting close to lockdown :clap

@2ndTink Quacker Jack is looking fantastic. They have all the strong veining you could ask for.

@Sally PB Lincoln is doing great! I don’t know if it was a vein or what, but it looked like Lincoln was waving to me from inside the egg :frow :lol:

@Luv Ducks Tinker Bell is really kicking! We have a lot of strong duckies here :p

@tlcmurphy Egg 31 is looking pretty good. Still has that great veining from last time.

@GreenJay Lucky Duck is getting a bit harder to see veining - makes me think they are the most progressed ;)

6 more eggs are on their way. May they all hatch! The next update will be on Friday, February 2nd :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom