January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
It’s update time (7) :jumpy

Everyone has gone into lockdown :clap

@2ndTink Quacker Jack has been rocking a bit, and I’ve seen some shadowing, but their air cell has not dipped back yet. They seem to be a little behind the rest, but that’s okay! :)

@Sally PB Lincoln is rocking, shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. I might’ve even heard a little bit of tapping, but I’m not sure. They’re right on track :p

@Luv Ducks Tinker Bell has been rocking A LOT! I set their egg facing the front of the ‘bator, and they rocked and turned sideways within the hour 😂 Of course, they’re also shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. They’re doing a great job.

@tlcmurphy Egg 31 is rocking quite a bit, shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. They’re right where they should be :D

@GreenJay Lucky Duck is rocking a bit, shadowing a bit, and their air cell has dipped back.. a bit :rolleyes: I think they’re a little behind, but not too far.

5 eggs are on their way! May they all hatch! The FINAL update will be on Tuesday, February 13th! (well, I will probably update more with progress photos :lol:)

Good morning eggies! Ok, time to get into position for hatching!!

excited duck GIF

@2ndTink Quacker Jack has been rocking a bit, and I’ve seen some shadowing, but their air cell has not dipped back yet. They seem to be a little behind the rest, but that’s okay! :)

@Sally PB Lincoln is rocking, shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. I might’ve even heard a little bit of tapping, but I’m not sure. They’re right on track :p

@Luv Ducks Tinker Bell has been rocking A LOT! I set their egg facing the front of the ‘bator, and they rocked and turned sideways within the hour 😂 Of course, they’re also shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. They’re doing a great job.

@tlcmurphy Egg 31 is rocking quite a bit, shadowing, and their air cell has dipped back. They’re right where they should be :D

@GreenJay Lucky Duck is rocking a bit, shadowing a bit, and their air cell has dipped back.. a bit :rolleyes: I think they’re a little behind, but not too far.

5 eggs are on their way! May they all hatch! The FINAL update will be on Tuesday, February 13th! (well, I will probably update more with progress photos :lol:)
:woot :jumpy:celebrate
Come on Lucky Duck! 🍀

So happy to hear this!!!! I am wanting to come see him when he hatches, if only you were in Ohio. lol Good luck Tinkerbell along with all of your little feathered friends.

Picture update now, because I can’t wait until tomorrow :lol:

Water time with everyone outside
View attachment 3743503
View attachment 3743504

Drying off afterwards
View attachment 3743505

Just hanging out :p
View attachment 3743506
View attachment 3743507

And Laffy’s feathers are starting to come through :celebrate
View attachment 3743509
View attachment 3743510
View attachment 3743511

I studied their appearances very carefully after they hatched, so I can see subtle differences between them. Prickly has the thickest face mask and darkest feet. Banana has very orange feet. Guava has the darkest down and “medium” feet.

I’ll be giving them leg bands later this week, though, so it won’t have to be a guessing game anymore 🤣
So in the second photo is it Guava, Banana, Prickly clockwise?

So in the second photo is it Guava, Banana, Prickly clockwise?
Noo, it’s Banana, Guava, Prickly. That’s not the greatest photo for telling them apart, though :lol: Let me get a better picture of Banana and Guava
IMG_1937.jpeg

Another key difference is Banana has a tinge bit more orange near the front of their bill + around their nares - you can see that in the second photo. They had way more orange when they were born, but it’s shifted to be mostly grey since.

The continue story of Ms Ducky. We kept finding eggs on the ground so my husband put a screen up on the hole. She leave at night and come back in the day. So i had to buy an incubator. the one we found on the ground we candle it and you can see something in the egg shell but I don't know how long it was out heat. Do your think we should go and say good by or keep it under the heat lamp ?
1000040702.jpg
1000040686.jpg
1000040700.jpg
1000040703.jpg
1000040704.jpg

She leave at night and come back in the day.
That is normal for ducks. They will lay an egg and leave for awhile.
We candle it and you can see something in the egg shell but I don't know how long it was out heat. Do your think we should go and say good by or keep it under the heat lamp ?
Could you get a picture of the egg when you candle it?
Eggs can go for a week or two without heat as long as it hasn’t started incubation yet.
You could incubate the egg yourself, or maybe even put the egg back in the nest and see if mama duck will incubate for you.

Back
Top Bottom