Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I purchased 2 17week old JG pullets about a month ago now and they are still so timid. I don't believe they were handled at all in their last residence. I have 4 other lt brahmas which we purchased as chicks and have hand held pretty much from day one so now that they are about 5 months old they just follow us everywhere and let us pick them up whenever.

My question is will I be able to get my new girls adjusted so they are as comfortable with us? I feel like I just stress them out when I try to pick them up and calm them down before setting them back down but I'm hoping to get them to not be so scared. It's crazy. I don't know if it is just a personality trait of JGs or just the ones we got and possibly introduced them incorrectly to our established pack and they can't figure out the 'pecking order'. Any suggestions?

I'm new to chickens and have totally fallen in love with them.

Think of it this way. They are new kids at school and are trying to figure out where they fit in with the other kids. Also remember as alittle child meeting some of your crazy relatives. They would run over and grap you,pinch your cheeks and say "What a cute little person you are" Those are the people you avoid. As soon as grand pop would reach into his pocket and start handing out money thats the one everyone ran to and jumped on his lap.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi, Teresa! So glad to see you posting on the Jersey Giant thread!

The pullets Teresa purchased are from me, and you are certainly correct in saying that I did not handle them much. I did handle them some, I never just completely ignore my birds...but, I do work full time, and have many other critters that I tend to, so I don't get nearly the time I'd like to spend with each one, unfortunately! I do find that my Jerseys are very laid back...I don't have a problem with any of them being skittish. But, there are many things you can do to help calm them down. My favorite thing to do is teach them to hand feed from me! I take in their favorite tread, and just sit down in the chicken run with the treat in my hand. They will eventually walk right up & take the treat from you. I had one hen last year that would literally fly up to my shoulder so she could get to what was in my hand even before I'd stoop down! You may need to begin by sitting quietly in their run or outside, and throwing some scratch close by to you so that they become used to walking right up to you. Hang in there with them - like I said, they definitely are laid back & more docile than many other breeds, but they will not become this way without a bit of time spent on your part. They are SO worth the effort, though! The girls you have are from awesome bloodlines...they should be beauties when they are done growing!

Thanks Wynette!

I thought I would post here and not bother you with my 'beginner' questions.
smile.png

I have been going in the coop and just letting them get used to me assuming they will realize I'm the one that brings the treats and they should make friends with me. haha.

By the way, Star still isn't laying. Her feathers are starting to look a little better though. I'm averaging 3 eggs a day which is just fine with me. No new rooster sounds either. I'm thinking we may have more hens then I thought. haha.

Have a great day!

im new to chicken too and have small kids, even when we've raised them from chicks and they have been man handled by kids i can t seem to get a non timid bird untill it lays an egg!!!! then they do the egg squat, follow me around, talk to me come when i call them!!?? im at a loss too!!! well good news is they should chill out after they start laying
smile.png

Quote:

Thought I would post an update on the 1 chick I hatched in April, from the Utah breeder

I now have a garage rooster (not a house dog or a house chicken). He goes in his kennel each night, just as a dog would do.
lol.png
I brought him in about a week or so ago. He was being picked on by others, and I worried he was not eating enough, cuz he was hiding. Well, he is quite happy to be away from the harrassers. Today he belted out his first crow, funny as it was. I have him set up in one of those super large sized wire portable pens. He comes out each morning, and I let him outside .... he goes to the front yard where there are no other chickens around. I had taken him out there a few times before. Apparently he likes it, because that is where he goes. He spends his day out there, and returns to his kennel each night. This is him. His name is Leggs. He is about 5 foot tall.
gig.gif
Well, not yet, but he looks like he is gonna be!

31282_dscf1708.jpg

31282_leggs.jpg

OKay Kathy I know you are slipping him steroids, lol Hes looking good Hes about 6 months old right. Lets see if he beats my Colbalt he stood 30 inches at 8 months when I first showed him. Micki

Jealous!! I want a jersey giant!!! I was gonna try to pick one up at a local poultry show but im not able to because i couldnt sell enough of my girls to make room!! one day ,, one day .....sigh:(
Quote:

Quote:
I do need to measure him. I wonder how tall he is. How do you measure? From the ground to what ... the top of the head? I think he is near 30" because the steps into my house from the garage are 28" and he is above that (the top of his head is). He just looks so tall and gangly..... I hope he grows into those long legs!
gig.gif

Micki ..... Did you see this thread ..........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4881638

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom