Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I honestly worry and wonder if my cockerel from Wynette will truly get any taller or bigger. . . . He's got a HUGE chest coming through, just as his dad did, and he's got his dad's tail angle and body type as well as color, but otherwise. . . He's not very big or tall at all. He's got more chest than anything, . . . .

I take that back, he's got more flightiness, skittishness, and freakish behavior than anything.
roll.png
I really hope he grows up, both behaviorally and physically.
tongue.png

Illia It just must be that bird My boys might give me alittle bit of trouble picking them up but once I have them they a very calm and seem to enjoy being handled Even the young ones crowd around me when I go near their pens sometimes almost tripping me I can pick any of them up.

Well I don't want to sound like I'm putting a bad image on Wynette's stock, because I love her and her stuff, but ALL of my Jersey Giants are flighty, skittish, freakish birds.
tongue.png
Even the pullets will cry and scream and fly off if I ever go near them. . . They have done this since chickhood, and it makes me impatient. They're beautiful, and finally laying really cool pink eggs, but. . . . They need to calm down at some point. If I have a skittish pullet, she'll normally calm once she goes into cycle. . .

Still waiting for them to do that.
tongue.png
But of course if I ever get tired of them, I'm keeping my mock-Lavender girl. She's SO beautiful!

I dont think its from anyones stock some birds are just flightly. I dont keep mine penned up either and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. My giants are in a pen but its over 100 feet longand 50 feet wide. and they also have freedom in my chicken yard. They freerange most of the time I think this keeps them more active and less jittery. I was watching this morning and one of my rooster was eating out of a bowl of feed with a 2 month old light brahma chick. He didnt seem to mind sharing his food at all, In fact I have 2 bantam cochin hens with 5 chicks that have decided to run in with the giants and these gentle giants could care less.

Quote:
I picked up a couple of 17 week old pullets from Wynette too about a month ago. They are beautiful and really starting to fill out. They lay pink eggs?!? I thought at least one of mine had started laying but I have not seen a pink egg, just lt brown ones. I have 4 other lt. brahmas that at least 3 are layers now so I don't know who is laying. Mine are also pretty skittish still but I try to spend some time with them each day with my brahmas out free ranging so they aren't so intimidated by them.

I'm still pretty new to this 'chicken' thing and love all the info I find on here.

Quote:
I picked up a couple of 17 week old pullets from Wynette too about a month ago. They are beautiful and really starting to fill out. They lay pink eggs?!? I thought at least one of mine had started laying but I have not seen a pink egg, just lt brown ones. I have 4 other lt. brahmas that at least 3 are layers now so I don't know who is laying. Mine are also pretty skittish still but I try to spend some time with them each day with my brahmas out free ranging so they aren't so intimidated by them.

I'm still pretty new to this 'chicken' thing and love all the info I find on here.

Technically they're pale brown, but really, I've known a LOT of shades and hues of brown, and these are the nearest to pink I've seen. Usually to get a pink hue, your egg needs a thick blume on it. Same with Marans eggs - To get a purple egg, it needs a thick blume. These don't have that; In fact, they're often glossy and still a pink shade, like pale blushing skin.

Hi,
I was going to buy from a feed store, but they had no more and told me about a lady that was giving away chicks (too many birds lol). Since these were my first chickens ever, I didn't even think to ask the breed. But I did see the mother and she was a huge hen. I'll try to post pics soon, I'm sure I can figure out how
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom