Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:
Don...I KNEW there was more to you than met the eye! I tried to get my hands on some pure Miller birds many years ago, and could not find anyone that could say with certainty that their lines were pure. Golda was a wonderful steward of this breed!

Wynette, If not for Mrs Miller there would be no Black Giants left today.

Quote:
At least...none of any worth! We'll have to chat sometime about the blacks you had!

Pepperkorn - okay, I have to say that your chicken names are hilarious! I'm glad luring them in with flower petals worked! Keep up the good work! Also glad you were able to save your little Pastebutt.

I had a chick in my very first batch that got all pasted up - before I found BYC or even knew anyone else with chickens. It was lethargic, I picked it up & found a big chunk of dried poo on its hind end. I picked it off carefully, it pooped a HUGE pile in my hand...ACK! Then, I set it down, and it pooped ANOTHER huge pile in the brooder...perked right up & was just fine after. I felt horrible, but was glad I found the issue. Sheesh. So weird when you think back to when you had your very first chooks and how far you have come! (and how far you still have to go!)

Quote:
No pips yet. I put the eggs in on May 5th at 4 pm. Mine have never hatched early so far.
sad.png

Quote:
I always say, the more I learn about chickens,the more I learn I have more to learn.

It's funny - and annoying - but, I found an old issue of The Poultry Item on google books, and was reading some of the articles, and those guys back then were dealing with the same issues we are today! Breeding, pattern, illnesses, behavior. When WILL we learn it all??

I tame my birds with bread. I make them come to me for it. I have some that never want to be picked up, so I generally leave them alone. Unfortunately for them, some are my show birds, so they have to be handled from time to time. They never enjoy it, though. But they do eat out of my hand.

Hello all!

I was told that this is a JG chicks..so I'm hoping so

Newchickslastdayschool029.jpg

reading up on the breed..obviously iif I have one and its a hen; I need a much larger nest box huh??

Hi, Momagain - to me, this does look like a Jersey chick. Does it have a single comb? Since the tips of the toes are yellow, I'd lean more toward a Jersey. I would also think pullet, as that tail is very long (typically the males grow their tails in much more slowly than the females). Enjoy!

Wynette if you went back to I think it was page 203
Would you beable to tell me what you think is rooster or pullet?
I grouped them together by color I have 1 blue that is very dark.
That way I can mark them and start watching so I know what to look for when I start hatching chicks out of these.
I know I could wait like last time till the roosters start turning red in the combs ,but when selling them I want to sell straight run and ibi can't sex them early on to pick out future breeders I will get stuck with a lot of roosters.

Anyone's input would be great!
Thanks for all the outstanding info and great pictures.

Back
Top Bottom