Large amount of non-posting members

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with not posting.
I would however do a sweep of so called members that never log in, and make sure they still exist.

As far as site supporters, I'm sure they look at an average number of members that are signed in vs. the total membership. I would.
wink.png

Okay, i'm posting so I don't get deleted. I'm fairly new to this forum and have learned a great deal, just by lurking in the background. I can see that you folks are wonderful people and again, I've learned much and hope that continues. I do drop in several times a day and have even entered the chat room with my questions.
Thanks for having me.
-Kathy

I know I am posting a lot less than I was when I first joined. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. First off, let me say that I think this a great forum for practical information and the members are all caring, thoughtful and knowledgeable people. I can say for the most part that I've never felt like part of the "gang". There are probably a few reasons for that. I never really announced myself as I noticed that a lot of new members do when they join. Although one of the mods noticed on a thread that I was new and welcomed me. No. 2 is I feel that I have probably shared a little too much personal information on a couple of occasions and maybe people are uncomfortable with new members doing that and think that I'm not genuine or truthful. No. 3 is on a couple of posts I ventured an opinion, I thought in a nice way, but the person felt that I was attacking them personally. That was not my intention and I apologized for causing that reaction. No. 4 is that I deleted a couple of posts which I know some of you don't like. Believe me, that was only done because I was uncomfortable with what I had written (again too personal). I didn't know at that time that it could be inflammatory to do so.

Anyway, I apologize for any misconceptions that people may have about me due to my postings. I've tried to be respectful and only post when I truly have something worthwhile (IMO) to offer. I will continue to enjoy reading the forum, but probably won't be posting much. I'm just here to learn. Thanks for listening.

Edited to add: After rereading, realizing I sound pretty whiney. Poor, poor, pitiful me, wah, wah, and all that yada, yada, yada.
smile.png
Also realizing that I haven't been around long enough to be part of the "gang". Just got caught up initially with all the camaraderie going on. Anyhoooo, I'm happy to be here learning and hope someday to have paid my dues and be part of what's goin' on here!
smile.png

Last edited:
Technically, having persons reading is not a bad thing. A lot of people are looking for information, but don't have anything to add. There are so many pesons who have a great deal of knowledge and answer many questions. So a lot of newbies don't feel they have anything to add.

Like many others, I read posts for a long time before I started posting. And even now, I read a lot, but don't post much. I don't think we want to discourage people from looking and learning.

I manage a large Internet Product and can tell you that having a user who does not log in, does not really impact the performance. It is just a record in a database. Performance is affected by the number of people searching and the type of searches they do.

Moderators or Nifty_Chick - What are your thoughts?

some people probably dont feel the need to post uness its an emergrency or something important. Like something was wrong with one of there birds or a predator took out there flock?

idunno.gif
I don't see a problem with it...though I don't know about the technical side. I've been a member almost a year and don't post much either cause I don't have anything to add or no one usually responds to my posts (except the emu one).
smile.png
Lot's of new members coming in thistime of year...let's not scare em off
smile.png

My personal feeling is that ALL members are welcome, whether they want to post and have a lot of social interaction or if they just want to sit back to read and learn. This site was built as an educational tool to support the community of chicken owners who perhaps couldn't find the information they needed elsewhere. It brought family and friends together from all over the world, regardless if folks are shy or very outspoken. I find that to be great about the site, even when I first joined and only read for a year before my very first post. People will do what is natural and comfortable to them and that is ok.

As for the question about system resources, I don't see any issues with it affecting the site or performance.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom