Laws in Pennsylvania

chikoo12007

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
Been searching fir a while about laws on selling day old ancona ducks. I've talked to people at farm show who also fave me great info on biosecurity. And they also answered my question about selling duckling and chicks. Stating that there is no laws pertaining to me selling them. I currently have 8 ancona ducks plus 10 chickens. I do want to at one point move from a hobby farm to a business farm. But as of now I'm still small scale and just starting out this year. Can anyone clarify if there is no rules or do I need to be registered? I plan to get npip certified if I get this going. But I want to get it going right. Any info would help. Thank you in advance.

It's also important that you know what your area's requirements are for housing poultry, selling eggs, etc... Just in case and also so you can further be legally certified and registered, if needed. I don't believe you need one as a hobby breeder or adopting out. I think you do need one however for selling as a business.You can try calling someone and asking like your game commission... They might be able to answer some questions or direct you to someone who can. I don't know exactly where to go to ask for those kind of questions, so try looking there, first.

The easiest thing to do would be contact your local agricultural department extension office. They should be able to either give your the information you need or direct you to who does have that information.

It's also important that you know what your area's requirements are for housing poultry, selling eggs, etc... Just in case and also so you can further be legally certified and registered, if needed. I don't believe you need one as a hobby breeder or adopting out. I think you do need one however for selling as a business.You can try calling someone and asking like your game commission... They might be able to answer some questions or direct you to someone who can. I don't know exactly where to go to ask for those kind of questions, so try looking there, first.
The only thing I can find so far is I'm under the 1000 bird excemption law but still need to follow pa regulations. And not coloring chicks or ducks with a dye. Can't find anything strictly on selling day old peeps. I did find out I can call the agriculture department as well which I'm definitely do. As for housing requirements looked into that for I would like to possibly be npip certified. But have read it may be difficult in pa alone. I do appreciate the help and I'll keep researching.

I believe I have read information on egg sale regulations on the Penn State web pages. You could search there or see if your county has an extension office.
Thank you I will be emailing them and hopefully get the right info. I know I asked people at farm show that were from biosecurity. But I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal.

The only thing I can find so far is I'm under the 1000 bird excemption law but still need to follow pa regulations. And not coloring chicks or ducks with a dye. Can't find anything strictly on selling day old peeps. I did find out I can call the agriculture department as well which I'm definitely do. As for housing requirements looked into that for I would like to possibly be npip certified. But have read it may be difficult in pa alone. I do appreciate the help and I'll keep researching.
I'm a back-yard chicken hobbyist, but my birds are a threatened breed (Nankin Bantams - awesome little birds!) I will occasionally let a hen set and have incubated a few clutches in the past. I would love to do more, if only to help conserve the breed, but understandable safety restrictions limit me to only local transport. Shipping requires NPIP certification. So does simple transport across a state line, regardless of state laws to the contrary. Many shows have the same restriction and some - like my own local county fair - simply state up-front, "No buying or selling allowed."
Good Luck! You have a Great Goal!

I'm a back-yard chicken hobbyist, but my birds are a threatened breed (Nankin Bantams - awesome little birds!) I will occasionally let a hen set and have incubated a few clutches in the past. I would love to do more, if only to help conserve the breed, but understandable safety restrictions limit me to only local transport. Shipping requires NPIP certification. So does simple transport across a state line, regardless of state laws to the contrary. Many shows have the same restriction and some - like my own local county fair - simply state up-front, "No buying or selling allowed."
Good Luck! You have a Great Goal!
Thank you and yea that's a good goal and I hope to each it. I did email the department of agriculture a few days ago. So I'm hoping to hear from them soon.

Back
Top Bottom