Limping hen, went to the vet

Chickie Newbie

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
Tucson, AZ
So poor little Coco, my 2 year old Welsummer, was limping badly for a week. It seemed to get worse, although she was still eating well and laying. I thought she must be in pain and couldn't get up to roost with the rest of the girls. Coco also had a lump on her back which I thought might be there from the way she was standing, so I found a vet in town that treats chickens. She wanted to do xrays to see if her leg was fractured and a series a tests on the lump that would cost anywhere from $400-$800 depending on the results and how they were analyzed. She also wanted to give her antibiotics.

The interesting thing about that is she said that once you give your chicken antibiotics you should never eat their eggs again. It stays in their tissues and passes through to the eggs. So long story short, I asked the vet to put her down. There was a possibility that the lump was cancer and I didn't want her to suffer, nor could I pay the exhorbitant amount she was asking.

I'm so sad to lose my sweet girl, but I think I made the right decision. I just wanted to share what she told me about the antibiotics and see if you had any similar experiences.

Sorry for your loss.

The advice you got re: antibiotics is contrary to anything I have ever read or heard.

Back
Top Bottom