Livestock guardian dogs

Pics
Hi There, I have read most of this thread and I guess I just got impatient and had to ask. I have not seen mention of the South African Mastiff, I have read that the Boerboel is considered one of the best LGD breeds there are, due to the fact they were bred to protect homesteaders from the lion population in Africa and will protect to the death. In addition to this they are said to bond the best with the families and to treat them as they're flock. Does anyone have any experience or additional knowledge on this breed.
We have a Boerbel and I can not tell you enough how incredible she is at keeping watch over the flock- we have 25 hens, we live up in the forest in California and have lots of camera footage (and seen with our own eyes) maintain lions, bears, packs of coyotes, bobcats etc all cruising around our 1 acre property. Our hens have a big coop- almost looks like a small guesthouse and then we have a large fenced in area for them to free range. We put Penny in that area with them and she doesn’t pay them any mind (but loves to eat the pooh😭) if I could post you a pic I would- it’s adorable to watch- but true to her breed- she is a fierce protector. Beyond that, she is nothing but a butterfly trapped in a giant dog body who wants to be loved! 💕

Back
Top Bottom