Livestock Guardian Dogs

I can say a Karelian Bear Dog is a great good one. With a couple of things worked out first you will have to wait 1.5 to 2 years for them to get past puppy brain. They must be raised with the birds around or they see them as food. They do travel ,but on 150ac.shouldn't be a problem. They will hunt out predators and are fearless.

Rob

I do have a problem with large predators, coyotes and black bear and when we move to the 150 acres which backs up to a national forest, well, lots of wild life. I have more than birds, I have goats now, I will be getting some sheep, miniature donkeys, and miniature cattle. I guess most here just have the hobby farm and that is the way I started and it was the best thing I ever did. My birds do mean more to me than just the eggs. I have a rare breed that I seem to like of chicken. The Jersey Giants. There are some very rare colors that are extremely hard to find like the blues. I want to make the most educated decision I can. It's not just going to be the life of my birds but the life of the dog with which I choose will be affected too.

If your fencing can keep domestic dogs out, even the miniatures can handle most of the remaining threats assuming you are not in an area with the very rare red wolves.

More than one LGD best for dealing with predators of any size. Black bears are relatively big but I doubt many will mess with even one standard sized LGD since getting a meal is not always worth the butt-biting received.

It is not always about outright fighting or bluffing predators, sometimes it is simply an issue of coverage and response time. I have coyotes and bobcats but foxes are handily the biggest challenge. My dogs are bigger yet every bit as fast as coyotes and bobcats seem to run from anything bigger than they are. The foxes have always had to hunt under the nose of wolves (coyotes generally do not) so they are very good about making do even with dogs if latter have to cover too much territory. With respect to the chickens, the dogs need to be able to get there fast when fox visits and if dogs out with other more mobile livestock, then chickens may be on their own too long. I have had to find ways to make so my dogs could guard multiple flocks that are spread out. This has been helped by providing paths dogs know very well and refuges birds can use to buy seconds needed for dogs to get there. I also will be acquiring sheep and goats and they will be foraging well beyond where current dogs can cover without leaving chickens exposed. Another dog that is to be confined with sheep and goats will enable existing dogs to stay back in "barnyard" with more vulnerable charges (chickens) and be available when called as backup when dog with sheep and goats needs help. You can keep your ruminants confined with poultry but your forage base is going to get clobbered by overgrazing and excessive traffic.

I would recommend one. I also live in an area with coyote, fox, bobcat and we even have a bear around. However, my biggest losses every year were to other peoples dogs that roam around. I live in a semi rural area that is populated but also has wildlife. So after three years of losing half my flock every year I decided to get a LGD. After research I chose a Pyrennes because they are the least aggressive of the LGDs. Since I have neighbors and people occasionally walk and bike ride around here, I didn't want an overly aggressive dog. I also wanted one that got along with my cats.

She has done a great job. I have had her five years and can only recall losing two chickens to predators since having her. I got her at 12 weeks old and kept her near the chicken pen but leashed for the first two weeks. Every day I would take her in the pens with me but on a short leash. Her being a puppy, she wanted to play. However, at 12 weeks she was already 35 pounds and all leg and paws and could seriously injure the birds even at play. Anyway, that's how I introduced her to the chicks. I corrected any behaviour, even her playfulness, that I didn't like. By the time the young chickens were ready to be turned out, she was quite use to them and never bothered them. For a while I used to wonder whether she was guarding the chickens or me and the chickens just benefited from her presence. That question was answered after I lost my first chicken to a neighbors dog. My dog was still not full grown when this incident happened. She had been doing well with possum and such, but she was never tested with other dogs. Well, after that incident and a firm dressing down from me with the dead chicken between us, she must have got the message. A few days later the dog returned and she chased him all over the yard. Now every time she sees him, she is on his tail. Another dog came by one day and went for the chickens and she chased him down the road. Pyrenees like to bark on occasion to announce their presence, so I think that keeps the other predators like coyote and such away. I guess I am lucky because my dog doesn't roam like so many other people have said theirs do. I don't know if its because I spayed her or because when I got her I kept her leashed for two weeks and walked her around our property area twice a day. Our property isn't fenced but she stays put and usually doesn't go any farther than the field across the road or the woods behind the house. One note on these dogs, their coat requires attention especially before summer sets in. They have an awful lot of hair and a very thick undercoat. You have to use a shedding rake several times a week for weeks before hot weather sets in or you need to shave them or something. They get hot. Winter is no problem for them. Despite their size, they don't eat alot once full grown. They just don't move around and expend alot of energy so you don't want to overfeed them. They are very gentle and mine loves the grandkids and my kitties. Nothing looks so amusing as watching that big ole dog trying to play with the old tom cat and watching the tom cat box her face.

There are other breeds that I'm sure would work just as well and maybe have less hair. All LGD need firm hands in training. Consistancy is likely key. I would start with a puppy unless you know the animal has already worked with whatever livestock you have. Even then, I would guess it would still need time to be imprinted with it's new surroundings and livestock. That might be the drawback with grown dogs. They may just up and leave. Then again the drawback with puppies, Pyrenees anyway, they don't guard really good until they are about a year and a half or two years old. That's what I heard and it was about 18 months before mine was sure of herself. Anyway, it is a joy to be able to turn the chickens loose every day to freerange and not come home to half the flock laying slaughtered in my yard!

Here's my girl!

Beautiful Pyrenees, most i see are mixed represented as full blooded, i have both and i love them and they are the best farm dog for my place,My losses are 0 for the last 2 years

We have a Catahoula. Never in my life have I seen a dog with such a hatred for raccoons and possums. While I haven't noticed foxes here, we do tend to have issues with bobcats and coyotes during droughts. Bears are an extreme rarity around the construction here as well. He's led away and outrun a few of the larger predators who wouldn't retreat. He weighs about 65 pounds, and has been clocked doing 45 in a 25. The breed is commonly used in this area for hog hunting. The kids are his. The chickens are his. He even stands between me and the FedEx guy when I get a package. He shows no interest in following me into the coop or run. I think he finds chickens too smelly. But he does race around the area with his nose to the ground every time he goes outside. This takes priority over his potty needs. I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but Catahoulas don't grow a winter coat. They can't tolerate too much exposure to winter conditions. We don't have much of a winter here, though. The most maintenance required is attention. Very social. Samson isn't a dog person, either. It's not common to the breed, just his personality.

A neighbor had a Catahoula that worked with a Great Pyrenees. Latter had size and booming voice while former had speed and smarts. They adapt well to central Missouri conditions so long as they have snug location retreat to.

Zazouse, she is beautiful! I had an Irish wolfhound and I had to brush her daily, and I have one longhairs cat and have to brush him daily, so I am used to brushing! I like the Great Pry and that breed is one of my choices. I'm also looking attn adult Anatolian that is 1 1/2 and she's already been with farm animals. But I would do as you say, be very careful until she is imprinted with my animals. That you so very much for your advice!

Zazouse, she is beautiful! I had an Irish wolfhound and I had to brush her daily, and I have one longhairs cat and have to brush him daily, so I am used to brushing! I like the Great Pry and that breed is one of my choices. I'm also looking attn adult Anatolian that is 1 1/2 and she's already been with farm animals. But I would do as you say, be very careful until she is imprinted with my animals. That you so very much for your advice!
I have an anatolian/pyrenees cross also, he is great with the animals here but did think they were food when i first got him, i started feeding him 3 times a day and it stopped.

I got a cute weiner dog also.
He is great with the babies

Zazouae, he is handsome and very cute pic with duckling. Love the Wienner! I love dacschunds too. Will be getting some more eventually. Not ready yet, as the sting of losing two elderly dacschunds was just last August.

Zazouae, he is handsome and very cute pic with duckling. Love the Wienner! I love dacschunds too. Will be getting some more eventually. Not ready yet, as the sting of losing two elderly dacschunds was just last August.
I totally understand the loss of a older fur baby
hugs.gif
Tobie needed a home and i had lost my beloved Pom Pookie after 14 years, he helped me and i helped him, he is a sweet heart.

Back
Top Bottom