Looking To Buy....Peafowl(2016)

A pure Green hen and an IB male would produce a 50/50 Spalding. Not sure if this will help but if you want to figure out how much of a percentage the chick will be you take the two percentages of he parents, add them together, and divide by two. That's how registering animals works with other species. For example: you have a mare that is 25% Appaloosa and 75% Quarter Horse. You breed her to a Full Blood (100%) Quarter Horse stud. You will add the Quarter Horse % (175%) then divide by two. You would have a foal that is 87.5% Quarter Horse and 12.5% Appaloosa. Another way is knowing what each ancestor is. In theory if your bird had 15/16 of it's ancestors Green you should have a Spalding that is 94% Green and 6% Blue.

He should stick around if the girls stick around.

Nice read and great explanation on the fractions @birdrain92. After 15/16 it gets really hard to tell sometimes . Its usually the birds height and crest that gives an HP Spalding rooster away but, its the hens color and patterns that usually gives them both away.

Edit:
Ps: a good green hen will have a uniform barring pattern in the shape of a chevron vs a hen with IB blood in her will have more of a broken TV barring pattern but it can still be hard sometimes.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
Nice read and great explanation on the fractions @birdrain92. After 15/16 it gets really hard to tell sometimes . Its usually the birds height and crest that gives an HP Spalding rooster away but, its the hens color and patterns that usually gives them both away.

Gerald Barker

The crest can be difficult when they begin to molt. The height of the bird will help but of course it could possibly be an American Green. Usually the color of the neck, the structure of the neck feathers, the crest feathers, the height and the wings is what helps me. Pure males will never have barring on the secondary feathers. Hens though won't have a solid wing. I've seen people with Greens like that where the male has barred wings, and the hen has solid wings and they try to convince me they are pure. Also another is the yellow face part. I know Spaldings get it too but sometimes with those HP it won't be as bold it will be a lighter yellow or not as much.

I always recommend people that want to learn how to identify what a pure Green looks like is study the photos from Read Mountain Peafowl's Facebook page, http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-English/Our-Peafowl/our-peafowl.html, and Rocking B-A-B Ranch. I've studied the photos from these three sites and now I'm very confident in myself that I can identify a Spalding and a Green. These three websites is where I learned almost everything about Greens. The other info I've learned about Greens has come from BYC.

Last edited:
The crest can be difficult when they begin to molt. The height of the bird will help but of course it could possibly be an American Green. Usually the color of the neck, the structure of the neck feathers, the crest feathers, the height and the wings is what helps me. Pure males will never have barring on the secondary feathers. Hens though won't have a solid wing. I've seen people with Greens like that where the male has barred wings, and the hen has solid wings and they try to convince me they are pure. Also another is the yellow face part. I know Spaldings get it too but sometimes with those HP it won't be as bold it will be a lighter yellow or not as much.​

You are on it Sir. The yellow on purer adult Greens will be more defined and not smear. That is true, American bred greens are shorter but thats also very true with American bred blues.

Edit:
A good adult green rooster will have a crest like icicles, tall and pointy and the hen should be tall in the shape of long tear drops.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
No, they will not even be close to my avatar, %50 spaldings are the first cross with greens, %75 is second cross, 7/8 is the third cross, 15/16 is the fourth cross, the bird in my avatar is something around 15/16, and these birds can't be free ranged. A %50 spalding hen will not be much different from your hens.
Okay, so a 50 % spalding hen looks more like an IB hen. But a green hen, is pretty, and if bred to my IB male would produce 50% Spalding chicks- and the males would be pretty, but not the hens. But if those males were bred back to a green hen the chicks would be 75% and so on.... Correct? Thank you for the help.

Okay, so a 50 % spalding hen looks more like an IB hen.  But a green hen, is pretty, and if bred to my IB male would produce 50% Spalding chicks- and the males would be pretty, but not the hens. But if those males were bred back to a green hen the chicks would be 75% and so on....  Correct?   Thank you for the help.

They are all gorgeous just some brighter than others. You can always pick a spalding hen out of the crowd. As for %'s yes it goes something like that but it takes many years to produce a pattern or color due to the maturation times in peafowl. Ive found that its easier to just buy the type birds you prefer its really hard to get buyers remorse with peas as you get attached quick.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Okay, so a 50 % spalding hen looks more like an IB hen. But a green hen, is pretty, and if bred to my IB male would produce 50% Spalding chicks- and the males would be pretty, but not the hens. But if those males were bred back to a green hen the chicks would be 75% and so on.... Correct? Thank you for the help.

If you were to breed back to a Green you'll get a higher % of Green. Here's a link to what Pavo Muticus muticus hens look like. http://www.pfauenfarm.de/Home-Engli...-Muticus-E/Album-PMM-M-E8/album-pmm-m-e8.html

They are all gorgeous just some brighter than others. You can always pick a spalding hen out of the crowd. As for %'s yes it goes something like that but it takes many years to produce a pattern or color due to the maturation times in peafowl. Ive found that its easier to just buy the type birds you prefer its really hard to get buyers remorse with peas as you get attached quick.
1f44d.png

Edit:
I forgot to mention or elaborate further about breeding for higher % birds. In this situation if possible, its better to try and use unrelated birds i.e. like using a different pure hen.
Ive got some videos and pics on my fb:

https://www.facebook.com/bobsgreenpeafowl/

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
Well, her birds are still young, its easy to free range young green birds, let see when her birds reach breeding age, i don't think its a good idea to free range them then.
I will have to disagree here, when they are younger they are harder as you have to work with them more to keep them in the area you want once they are older and established they should stay put as the blues have, time will tell for sure but from what i can tell they will be fine by the age of two, the training is done before this age of 2 not after , they are much calmer birds when free they no longer require bits nor blinders to stop them from plucking , i did have one male that plucked himself after his bit was removed but he has finely stopped this also

They will penned during breeding season as long as i raise the blues here because i will not bred for spaldings plenty of other folks already do this ..

Back
Top Bottom