Lucy laid her first egg! And we ate it!

It's been determined here by several people that Moose is a female. She does mount Lucy, usually backwards, but she hasn't laid any eggs. She is not protective and acts like a girl.
She maybe just a late bloomer, I am seeing the same here between Toots and Babe, Toots and Sam started mating when Toots had just turned 4 months old consensual, then nothing from Sam and Babe yet and they are 2 days apart in age. So even though I have had several say Babe is female I won't actually believe till I see mating. You didn't say what the difference in age there is between them.

I'm sorry, you are right they hatched within 24 hours of each other. Lucy has laid another egg today! She is very consistent with every other day! Moose still has done nothing. Hopefully she will kick into gear as now I worry about her getting egg bound.

I'm offering oyster grit for calcium, and there is some calcium in their duck feed, but should I be offering other sources of calcium?

I'm sorry, you are right they hatched within 24 hours of each other. Lucy has laid another egg today! She is very consistent with every other day! Moose still has done nothing. Hopefully she will kick into gear as now I worry about her getting egg bound.

I'm offering oyster grit for calcium, and there is some calcium in their duck feed, but should I be offering other sources of calcium?
other sources are green leafy veggies which you are already giving. I wouldn't be too concerned about Moose yet since actually this isn't gooses egg laying season anyway. She maybe just on the normal egg laying time. Which is usually late winter into spring. Enjoy those eggs and those geese.
smile.png

Thank you!! I didn't know what goose egg laying season was as I have been reading about a lot of people's geese laying right now. Lucy looks so cute right now in her corner of her pen. She has all the pine shavings fluffed up around her. She looks so snug!

Thank you!! I didn't know what goose egg laying season was as I have been reading about a lot of people's geese laying right now. Lucy looks so cute right now in her corner of her pen. She has all the pine shavings fluffed up around her. She looks so snug!
Okay now we need more pics.
pop.gif
this has been an unusual year, it's not uncommon to hear folks say their Chinese are laying in the fall, but you don't hear that much about other breeds doing it.

Last edited:
I didn't get a picture of her all snug because the next time I went out with the camera, she had finished and buried the egg and was ready to come out of the pen. But I did get the egg and washed it up and it's ready for tomorrow's breakfast! Lucy is an Embden. Moose is a Chinese/Toulous mix.

I didn't get a picture of her all snug because the next time I went out with the camera, she had finished and buried the egg and was ready to come out of the pen. But I did get the egg and washed it up and it's ready for tomorrow's breakfast! Lucy is an Embden. Moose is a Chinese/Toulous mix.
Bless her heart that's what Missy would do go in and spend time in her nest lay her egg bury it then leave until she had all the eggs she wanted to sit then she went broody.

Is Moose interested at all in what Lucy is doing? Does she go over and check out the egg?

When Toots goes in and noodles in the shavings Babe just stands and watches her,.
hmm.png

Moose has no interest at all! I don't think she has a clue what Lucy is even doing! I know one thing is for sure, Lucy has massive poop after sitting for a while! Thank goodness I clean it out every day!

Moose has no interest at all! I don't think she has a clue what Lucy is even doing! I know one thing is for sure, Lucy has massive poop after sitting for a while! Thank goodness I clean it out every day!

LOL they can hold for just so long.

I think that's Babe she has watched Sammy and Toots mating along with Missy but as far as being interested Nope hasn't happened yet, although the nibbling on Sams legs and feet made me wonder, When another Member said her female nibbled on her ganders feet when they first started mating last year.

Back
Top Bottom