Maryland rooster complaint

Agreed. Too broad to be reasonable.
There needs to be a specific definition, otherwise the "violation" is in the eye of the beholder.
What is the decibel threshold? Distance?
What is your zoning?
If agricultural, that may take care of it right there.

I am in Montgomery in Maryland. We have had some ups and downs here, but recently the current animal control head has made sure that the officers are familiar with the actual regulations, not just what they thought they were. Big difference.

Barring any specific, published, and easily understood and verifiable thresholds, I would definitely go to court.

Disturbing the peace? Haha. Let him take you to court with the stimulation that he pays your legal fees, wages lost, child care, mileage, and parking, if applicable, if you win. It's so easy to file a complaint, so lay it on him. Hell make him provide video and sound evidence of the alleged offense. Make sure he pays for that equipment as well. Use the wording from the "disturbing the peace " law in your favor. Fighting, for example, can be considered under that law. You're going to compaire fighting to a 5 lb chicken? Then if he's talking trash about you to other neighbors, counter sue for defamation of character.

It's your chance with standing to fight these ridiculous ordinances.,

Listen to neighbors, any dogs, loud stereos, weed eaters, mowers, engines(car or bikes).

There's no way to justify a roosters noise over any of those longer and louder noise makers. Fight this!!!

From the link on first page of thread:

Article 12, Title 4, Subtitle 9-904 Animal Disturbance Prohibited
It is unlawful for a person who owns, keeps, or has possession of an animal to permit the animal to disturb the quiet of a person or neighborhood.

It is unlawful for a person who owns, keeps, or has possession of an animal to permit the animal to disturb the quiet of a person or neighborhood.
This one?

That's as subjectively and vague as it gets, id challenge it.

Last edited:
barnie.gif
I agree--- it is too vague.
I would challenge the nasty neighbor on this one.
OP, if I were you, I'd install a video camera.
I have read actual posts on this site from people who've had their birds killed by neighbors via poison.
You just don't know who you're dealing with these days.
Keep us posted please and we are all behind you!

I'm no lawyer, but I did sleep heavily medicated last night soooo, and looking at the wording, I see an out!

I draw your attention to the highlighted:

I content the roosters were not permitted, they do it on their own and that you will have a talk with them! Law seems pretty clear, unless you permit it, there is no violation. Heck, post a "no rooing" sign, then you can show you do not permit it! ;-)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom