MARYLAND THREAD!

Would regular chicken wire work okay too? Or does the pigeon netting work better?

Chicken wire is even better if you can manage to set it up nicely. When you have a very small run you can use chicken wire because it usually wont hang so much over a small area. When you have a larger run, you probably need some support so the wire wont just hang. Im sure there are a lot of people that use chicken wire, its just a bit more work to attach it ina way in which it wont lag into the coop, but if you can manage it, chicken wire is awesome. The reason i recommend pigeon netting is because it is flexible, and very strong. You can stretch it nice and tight so it wont lag. I wish i had a picture to show you mine

Chicken wire is even better if you can manage to set it up nicely. When you have a very small run you can use chicken wire because it usually wont hang so much over a small area. When you have a larger run, you probably need some support so the wire wont just hang. Im sure there are a lot of people that use chicken wire, its just a bit more work to attach it ina way in which it wont lag into the coop, but if you can manage it, chicken wire is awesome. The reason i recommend pigeon netting is because it is flexible, and very strong. You can stretch it nice and tight so it wont lag. I wish i had a picture to show you mine

My neighbor has a really nice run for their chickens that is rectangular. I don't really like their coop, but I'll be seeing how much they spent and how they built it and then figure out my coop

My neighbor had 2 ducks, pets for their children, and sadly came home to one of the ducks half-eaten. We're not sure what the predator was, but the poor remaining duck is alone and unhappy. If you or someone you know might be willing to part with a large breed duck or two, or might want to provide a home for this lone duck (2 yo female, larger unknown breed, produced good eggs), let me know.

You may be able to find someone with ducks on the Facebook groups such as Maryland Farmers exchange and Maryland Poultry and Egg Swappers.

I have golden cascades... point of lay trio (1 male and 2 females ) for $60 and ducklings of various ages $10 ea. unsexed mature hens are $25 ea.

Im in sharpsburg. not the best pic of my ducks.. but some of them are in there... somewhere lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know of anyone near western Maryland selling Marans, Sussex, or Easter Egger pullets? We're having a hard time finding more.

Does anyone know of anyone near western Maryland selling Marans, Sussex, or Easter Egger pullets? We're having a hard time finding more.

Whitmore farms sells Ameraucanas, olive eggers and Wellsummers. The Ameraucanas lay a blue egg, Wellsummers a dark brown egg. They are above Frederick Md.
Another option in Fredericksburg, VA is Holly Berry Husbandry. They have quite a variety and do have EEs!

Last edited:
Any one have lumber, pallets, fence pieces, or 2x4s that they don't need? Trying to build a coop and run for as little as possible!

For pallet wood, try any industrial area like warehouses, tire places and repair shops or kitchen remodeling or in any place that would have merchandise come on them. Once you realize were, you will then have to figure out how to get them home and how to get them apart without cracking the boards.

For pallet wood, try any industrial area like warehouses, tire places and repair shops or kitchen remodeling or in any place that would have merchandise come on them. Once you realize were, you will then have to figure out how to get them home and how to get them apart without cracking the boards.
yeah that will be the fun part.. /joking
But thank you!

Back
Top Bottom