MARYLAND THREAD!

Itokuzu- lol. Been there done that. Without many tools my best shot was using my jig saw to cut off the two ends then see saw the boards off the middle bar. But if you have a buddy in a wood shop that can do it for you, it makes a world of difference! I'd recommend the second option with giving them eggs for 6 months. Well worth it!

I'm asking all my friends if they know of any spare wood that they don't need.. what ever I can get right now would be super duper helpful!

Another source for free wood is your local box store. Every Friday or Sat. Night they have scraps that need to be thrown out. Same with sheets of plywood. I bought a chipped corner piece for about 1/2 price. Then several 2 x 3 pieces were given to me. I used them for walls and nesting boxes. I used a whole pallet for a roof then plywood on top for my pen. Once you know were to look you will find them everywhere! I used pallet wood on the outside for siding of my house. And plywood underneath for walls.

Last edited:
Where would I find a box store? The plywood and 2x3s would be insanely helpful! I have someone I can get pallets from now, and I have a design for said pallets. The most costly thing for this will be the cedar shingles they used to cover the whole thing. What would you suggest I use for insulation? They used straw, but their chickens took it out of the walls. http://thehomesteadingboards.com/pallet-chicken-coop/ link to what I was talking about.

Big box orange (or blue) hardware store.
Any lumber yard is going to have beat up or torqued lumber. Just use it correctly for non critical pieces and save the $ for the good pieces. I reused insulating foam from a house that was having new siding put in.Be site to enclose it completely! While loose my girls acquired a taste for it! Lol! It just made me work faster top finish the walls!

Thanks for the idea! They seem to have odd tastes for things lol. My biggest worry is making it snake proof. I have a 4-5 foot black racer in a wood pile a decent ways away from where I'm putting my coop and run, but it still makes me nervous

New to Southern MD been here on byc for six years :). Looking for someone is So MD or DC region with a BQ BBS Silkie cockeral or roo. I'm down from my max poultry numbers to a sadly limited number due to county regs. So just slowly toying along toward a LF Frizzle or silkied EE. I'm onto F2 w blue black and splash smooths with silly little mohawk crests and feather feets with backwards toes. Need a quality silkie ro or LF polish to buff out that topknot. I'm retired, I refinish old furniture for reuse, foster dogs for rescues, run several fish/axolotl tanks and a pond and have chickens for the sheer joy of having chickens, okay and eggs... My favorite breeds are Wheaten Marans and Blue Wheaten Ameracauna. sadly hard to find here. So toyiing along amusing myself with genetics puzzles in the slow lane.

Back
Top Bottom