MARYLAND THREAD!

Looking to rehome a 3 month old splash Silkie cockerel. Very friendly and cuddly. From Meyer Hatchery as a chick in October. Handled often and healthy. Sucha cutie and hard to let go but I can’t have anymore roos. Located in 20607. Message if interested!
View attachment 3383914
View attachment 3383915
If i could have more roos I would take him! Silkies are so funny to watch <3

Looking for small quantity (3-4) of hatching eggs or chicks to add to my incubator end of February (or my brooder mid/end of March) to hatch or raise along with my homebred barnyard mixes. Prefer within a 1 hour or less drive of Frederick County. (I'm not against going farther if you live out in the country - I'm looking at you Western MD folks, PA folks, & Wva folks), but please don't send me towards DC or Baltimore!

"Wishlist" #1 breeds: Ameraucana, Legbar, Buckeye, Isbar, & Barnevelder

2nd string "wishlist" of breeds: Easter Eggers or non-laced varieties of wyandottes

My goal is to maintain a variety of breeds & colors (trying to avoid duplicates), so preferably no Silver or Gold Laced Wynadootes, Rhode Island Reds, Lavender Orps, or Sapphire Gems. I am also not interested in any production hybrids with short life spans (ISA Browns, etc...)

Let me know what you might have, what you charge, and where you're located. Also willing to swap some barnyard mix eggs or chicks.

Looking for small quantity (3-4) of hatching eggs or chicks to add to my incubator end of February (or my brooder mid/end of March) to hatch or raise along with my homebred barnyard mixes. Prefer within a 1 hour or less drive of Frederick County. (I'm not against going farther if you live out in the country - I'm looking at you Western MD folks, PA folks, & Wva folks), but please don't send me towards DC or Baltimore!

"Wishlist" #1 breeds: Ameraucana, Legbar, Buckeye, Isbar, & Barnevelder

2nd string "wishlist" of breeds: Easter Eggers or non-laced varieties of wyandottes

My goal is to maintain a variety of breeds & colors (trying to avoid duplicates), so preferably no Silver or Gold Laced Wynadootes, Rhode Island Reds, Lavender Orps, or Sapphire Gems. I am also not interested in any production hybrids with short life spans (ISA Browns, etc...)

Let me know what you might have, what you charge, and where you're located. Also willing to swap some barnyard mix eggs or chicks.
There’s a guy in Manchester who posted EE eggs on the Hampstead Facebook page last week for eating at $5 a dozen and he’s going to get 4 dozen for me next week. I figured I’d incubate the prettiest and eat the rest! I can get his number for you or make a Facebook intro.

There’s a guy in Manchester who posted EE eggs on the Hampstead Facebook page last week for eating at $5 a dozen and he’s going to get 4 dozen for me next week. I figured I’d incubate the prettiest and eat the rest! I can get his number for you or make a Facebook intro.
That's great. Can you tell me the name of the FB group? I'm a member of several of them, but there are sooo many!

BTW I love the chicks in your profile pic. They look very similiar to my current brood. What is the blue-ish one with the light colored chest?

That's great. Can you tell me the name of the FB group? I'm a member of several of them, but there are sooo many!

BTW I love the chicks in your profile pic. They look very similiar to my current brood. What is the blue-ish one with the light colored chest?
Hampstead Online Community. Search the group for “clucks” and it should come up.

That bunch of chicks were “Ameraucanas” from the feed store (The Mill at Hampstead) but more likely easter eggers. I don’t recall any muffs. The photo is pretty old, maybe 8 years as it was before I had kids to tame them all down. Wow did they range. We have 8 acres but still had to go fetch them from the neighbors porch on occasion. The lightest one in the front was the bravest and very sweet and we named her Merida. The rest were unremarkable but good layers.

Bowman’s of Westminster just posted their chick schedule on their website (46 different breeds!!) and there’s not much they don’t having coming in but they won’t have EE’s. And they’ll have multiple shipments all spring long. So I figure I’ll see what hatches out of these EE eggs and maybe grab a couple extra pullers of a similar age. I’d love another black copper marans, try some cream legbars and maybe a splash giant.

I’m also thinking of trying CX.

Bowman’s of Westminster just posted their chick schedule on their website (46 different breeds!!) and there’s not much they don’t having coming in but they won’t have EE’s. And they’ll have multiple shipments all spring long. So I figure I’ll see what hatches out of these EE eggs and maybe grab a couple extra pullers of a similar age. I’d love another black copper marans, try some cream legbars and maybe a splash giant.

I saw the list!! Bowmans has a great variety.

Unfortunately I'm not super impressed with my Bowman's (Mt Healthy) chicks from last year. They were only my 3rd batch of chicks ever, so I don't have a lot to compare to. But my first 5 came from TSC in 2019 and had no issues. My next 3 came from Marker 99 in 2021 and no issues.

This spring I started with 5 from Bowmans. The BCM chick didn't make it through the night :( I take some responsibility because I was so excited to get my chicks home that I didn't check them before I left the store and it was clearly lethargic.

Anyway I know chicks are fragile and did not think anyone was to blame. I went back about a week later and got 3 more chicks. They gave me one with pasty butt which I asked them to swap out. When I got home, two of them went downhill quickly, but I was able to save them. However my Legbar was never quite right and is still unhealthy and doesn't lay at almost a year. (I have a post on here about her being a medical mystery). My black laced red wyandotte turned out to be blue (that was a perk in my opinion). And one chick turned out to be a roo who has some visual issues (I think- we just call him special). Anyway, I don't know if it was just bad luck on that group of chicks or what, but I'll probably try a different place this year. The Southern States in Frederick & Woodboro also posted their lists and they have Buckeyes! (although a lavender wynadotte is awfully tempting...)

I saw the list!! Bowmans has a great variety.

Unfortunately I'm not super impressed with my Bowman's (Mt Healthy) chicks from last year. They were only my 3rd batch of chicks ever, so I don't have a lot to compare to. But my first 5 came from TSC in 2019 and had no issues. My next 3 came from Marker 99 in 2021 and no issues.

This spring I started with 5 from Bowmans. The BCM chick didn't make it through the night :( I take some responsibility because I was so excited to get my chicks home that I didn't check them before I left the store and it was clearly lethargic.

Anyway I know chicks are fragile and did not think anyone was to blame. I went back about a week later and got 3 more chicks. They gave me one with pasty butt which I asked them to swap out. When I got home, two of them went downhill quickly, but I was able to save them. However my Legbar was never quite right and is still unhealthy and doesn't lay at almost a year. (I have a post on here about her being a medical mystery). My black laced red wyandotte turned out to be blue (that was a perk in my opinion). And one chick turned out to be a roo who has some visual issues (I think- we just call him special). Anyway, I don't know if it was just bad luck on that group of chicks or what, but I'll probably try a different place this year. The Southern States in Frederick & Woodboro also posted their lists and they have Buckeyes! (although a lavender wynadotte is awfully tempting...)
Oh I just checked the SS chick list and they have Blue Laced Red Wyandottes!! But the timing is awful for me. *sigh*

Oh I just checked the SS chick list and they have Blue Laced Red Wyandottes!! But the timing is awful for me. *sigh*
I hate when that happens!

Right now I'm aiming for the 3/26 order at the Frederick Southern States to get a Buckeye, a couple Ameraucanas, a Splash Marans, and... maybe an Olive Egger to make my minimum of 5. I wonder which hatchery they use. Curious if the Ameraucana are actually Ameraucana or EE. They show both on the list.

D39FC226-41E9-4576-946D-7820F8A8BD78.jpeg

Still looking for a new home for this sweet boy! About 4 months now, crowing, super sweet and cuddly. From Meyer Hatchery as a chick. Location in 20607.

I hate when that happens!

Right now I'm aiming for the 3/26 order at the Frederick Southern States to get a Buckeye, a couple Ameraucanas, a Splash Marans, and... maybe an Olive Egger to make my minimum of 5. I wonder which hatchery they use. Curious if the Ameraucana are actually Ameraucana or EE. They show both on the list.
Yeah I’d be highly suspicious of any feed store “Ameraucanas.” I just set my batch under the incubator! I had 4 dozen to choose from. The darker 5 in the middle were fresh this morning and the rest were a bit cold so we’ll see how it goes. I cracked 3 of the extras into an omelet and they all looked fertilized so fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 5DF5B671-056B-476A-9D1F-0924DA4933F6.jpeg
    5DF5B671-056B-476A-9D1F-0924DA4933F6.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom