MARYLAND THREAD!

And wait… You have cows? I love cows 💕
Most of my birds are Nankin bantams. They're a rare breed that only recently moved from "Critically Endangered" to "Threatened" status with the Livestock Conservancy (www.livestockconservancy.org.) I also have a handful of standard fowl, including a chronically broody bantam cochin and one very large Black Jersey Moose. The cows aren't mine. They belong to my dairy-farming sister, but my daughter shows them with 4H, so they're still our pets. They are, without a doubt, the biggest golden retrievers on the planet!

Does anyone know if zoning regulations will prevent flocks from being registered? I live in Howard County and there is a limit to 8 hens and no roosters for all flocks, no matter the area. It's a stupid rule, nobody follows it and it isn't enforced, but would that make it harder to register my flock? I want to start selling chicks legally (I have been selling under the table to friends and family for some time) and I have 12 hens and 2 roosters. I've been keeping chickens for a little over 3 years now without the flock being registered.
Or, alternatively, could I apply for the permit without the flock being registered? Would zoning get in the way of applying for a permit even if the flock isn't registered?

Does anyone know if zoning regulations will prevent flocks from being registered? I live in Howard County and there is a limit to 8 hens and no roosters for all flocks, no matter the area. It's a stupid rule, nobody follows it and it isn't enforced, but would that make it harder to register my flock? I want to start selling chicks legally (I have been selling under the table to friends and family for some time) and I have 12 hens and 2 roosters. I've been keeping chickens for a little over 3 years now without the flock being registered.
Or, alternatively, could I apply for the permit without the flock being registered? Would zoning get in the way of applying for a permit even if the flock isn't registered?
Many areas allow exceptions for 4H youngsters. Do you have anyone in the household who could register for the program? Once the child ages out of the program, the flock should be grandfathered in.

Many areas allow exceptions for 4H youngsters. Do you have anyone in the household who could register for the program? Once the child ages out of the program, the flock should be grandfathered in.
I could probably register myself (I'm in highschool), thank you for the idea! I'm already in contact with people in 4h and have thought about joining, I'll look into it!

I could probably register myself (I'm in highschool), thank you for the idea! I'm already in contact with people in 4h and have thought about joining, I'll look into it!
4H is an EXCELLENT program. I highly recommend it. As a high school student, the sooner you get involved, the better, as it could affect college plans. Many colleges and trade schools see 4H as a great training ground for successful careers. As an extra incentive for you, many 4H programs offer travel opportunities and scholarship money. Be sure to look into those! And good luck!

Hello!

I am looking to rehome my two American Buff geese, here is a little about them:

- I believe they are 1 male, 1 female
- Approx. 4 months old
- People friendly, can be picked up (although the female is very vocal about her distaste for it :))
- Currently raised on Purina flock raiser and grass pasture
- Sleeps in a coop at night, free ranges in fenced in yard during the day

I live in Western, MD but I am willing to drive within a few hours any direction for the right home, can send pictures if interested.

Thanks!

Anyone know of a place that will slaughter/butcher/package your excess roosters for you? I've done it myself, but I am not very efficient and not really wanting to do it again. I have "heard" there is a place in the St. Mary's county Amish community that will do it, but I am not sure where exactly they are located.

Anyone know of a place that will slaughter/butcher/package your excess roosters for you? I've done it myself, but I am not very efficient and not really wanting to do it again. I have "heard" there is a place in the St. Mary's county Amish community that will do it, but I am not sure where exactly they are located.
Ask at your local feed mill. If that doesn't give you a name, ask your Ag extension service - they probably know someone in the 4H community who can point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom