MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Carroll countyians, Frederickians, where do you buy your feed? I have been getting TSC and Southern States feed, but I'd like something organic if possible. Westminster, Frederick are 20 miles away. I travel between Anne Arundel county and Mt. Airy almost daily and can take a number of different ways.

Greetings from Montgomery County!

My wife and I have bee looking at getting a small group of chickens and are a bit confused by the animal control law which seems to concern chickens.

The code indicates that birds must not be in an "aviary" within 100' of a building used for human habitation or work.

Here's the issue. What is the definition of "aviary?"

I have not yet been able to find this in the Maryland code or otherwise explained in Montgomery County. Words mean things, and the general definitions I have found so far seem to put an aviary in a class of permanent structures designed to allow birds to fly, are sometimes referred to as flight cages, and are distinguished from a simple cage. On the other hand, one definition indicated that it was simply an enclosure for keeping birds, to include a bird house! In that case there are a whole lot of people in violation, including almost every nature center in the area.

Anyway, the point is, that if it legally means a structure designed to allow birds to fly, I do not see how that would apply to a small coop.

More research is in order!

tongue.png

Hi just found this thread. I'm in Easton also, My husband and i are new to chickens. We have 7- 17 week old hens and 1 surprise roo, having fun though. No eggs yet but waiting patiently
smile.png
. Tammy

Hi Daddyman -- I just a few months ago started my small backyard flock (2 Silver-laced Wyandottes and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock (waiting for a Speckled Sussex). I live in the Derwood area of Montgomery County and am very close to the Agricultural History Farm Park which has offices of the Univ of MD extension service and other various offices agriculture related... I asked the same question you have posted... He pulled up the county website and we looked at it together and both of our takes were the coop needed to be 100' feet from the neighbor's house. Must admit aviary didn't come into the discussion. Hope this helps...

My understanding is that the judge only ruled in this case that the birds were pets.

My interest in the definition of aviary is to dermine if it is specific, or so broad as to be essentially meaningless.

As an example, I have bees and there has been a pretty regular bit of confusion over hive styles and requirements. Not to belabor the issue, but it matters greatly in law whether a hive frame "shall" be, or "may" be removable for instance, and what "removable" means. Pretty picky, yes, but a strict reading allows a number of hive types other than what has been typically run in the US. And with this in mind, the state apiarist has determined that beekeepers have a good bit of latitude in what equipment they use. End of the confusion and no one needs to worry about their hives being removed for being the wrong type.

If there is a written definition, if is specific as to what constitutes an aviary, then it may be possible to work around those restrictions. If it specifies a permanent structure, then a moveable chicken tractor would otherwise be allowed. On the other hand, if it is very broad, and basically at the discretion of the inspector, then that would certainly seem to beg for a review of the regulation to eliminate uncertainty, and hopefully enhance the liberty of the citizens. If listed as an enclosure for housing birds, then that would include bird houses, and be unworkable.

The point is, that it must mean something specific and definable.

Anyway, I will look about a bit, and see what I can find.

Happy trails,

Keith

Hi just found this thread. I'm in Easton also, My husband and i are new to chickens. We have 7- 17 week old hens and 1 surprise roo, having fun though. No eggs yet but waiting patiently
smile.png
. Tammy
Hey, Tammy! I live in Easton. I ended up with 2 roos so far. I have a buff cochin, and a golden polish roo. I need to find homes for them...one of them is loud! The buff makes no noise, but the polish is crowing his head off. We have 10 laying hens. Are you in, or outside of town?

Hey Marylanders, I hope to see some of you here. We're located in western MD in Sharpsburg. We host the swap & farmer's market in the spring and again in the fall. It's a great way to buy started birds ... or anything really. We'll have app. 50 vendors selling anything poultry or farm related or even homemade and handcrafted.

We also have a coop giveaway going on now on our Facebook page. Fans are eligible to win by posting our flyer in their neighborhood feed store/general store/ vet's office or anywhere they think it would get good traffic. Then post a pic of it on the FB page. Poultry show winner will be drawing the name at noon at the swap.

Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryland-Poultry-Swap-Farmers-Market/131707836905457

Back
Top Bottom