MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
To everyone along Hurricane Sandy's path, good luck and hope you're spared the bad stuff! God bless us all.

Amen & Amen!!!
fl.gif

Darn! I found you by Googling "raising chickens in Columbia, MD" and read your pessimistic post about doubting the possibility of raising them here, though I really want to for sustainability reasons, healthy food, their symbiotic relationship with our lawns, and our uncertain economic future.

Especially after seeing food and energy supply disruptions post-Sandy, I think producing at least some of our own food is pretty important.

Does anybody have any insights into raising chicken in a title regulated suburban community like Columbia, MD or do I have to head for the more rural countryside?

Thank you for any information.

Also, I run a blog on sustainability, if anyone wants to contribute, at:

http://www.marylandgreenpower.com

Whose pessimistic post?

Someone that posted 1 time (mwelliott) and said something about needing a permit to change your door color in Columbia, therefore doubting it would be possible to keep chickens there. I just Googled it.

Mdgreenpower : Google your city/county codes. Even in the rural countryside( where I am) there are some regulations. Not as strictly enforced, but irritating neighbors can certainly use them against you if they wanted to.
wink.png

Interesting question and object.
Without knowing if you live in a townhouse, apartment or on a small lot, you only need hens for eggs, and they can be kept quite quietly. Some breeds are quieter than others for this purpose.
Also, some small birds can be kept indoors -basement, garages, etc.
Guess I need to know more to be much help.
I think you can pull this off if you do your homework.

I lived in Columbia for many years and it was a wonderful place, but chicken keeping is definitely not allowed. Last spring at the green living conference held at the Howard Community College a woman gave a presentation on backyard chicken keeping. She suggested the best way to fight this ban was at the state level because similar fights were won at the state level to allow people to put solar panels on their roofs. (Columbia used to ban those too but state law overrules regulations set up by the Columbia Association and similar home owners associations.) If you have a secluded enough yard and sympathetic neighbors you might be able to pull it off but knowing how some of the homeowners associations in Columbia are I probably wouldn't recommend it. If you keep chickens in a garage or basement you'd probably get away with it but then neither you nor the chickens get the health benefits of giving them access to grass, bugs etc. I hope you can eventually find a way to keep chickens. In addition to all the advantages you mentioned they are surprisingly entertaining pets.

Hello! My DH just applied for a job in DC and I was looking at possibly moving to Baltimore if he gets it (primarily for the train commute and low rent rates). It's very soft planning right now but does anyone have any advise for me? We were looking at renting for six months or so as cheaply as we can (wherever works, doesn't have to be Baltimore) and then maybe buying a place. I was looking on zillow and house prices in the city are dirt cheap compared to here. Any advise? Areas to flat stay out of, short commute zones with cheap rent? A better city that still has the light rail/train connection? Everywhere I looked at close to DC was expensive as heck so I figure mass transit is the way to go. Especially with DHs driving habits. :rolleyes: I can just see our insurance rates going up now...

The best commute is from South and east of DC.
Worst is from North, and Northwest.
VA has only bridges to get in DC, yukky.
I would look in Calvert and South Anne Arundel counties. very chicken friendly.
P.G. and Montgomery tax even the air you breath.Howard County is chicken unfriendly and a horrible commute but close to RR stations.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom