MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Hello! I am from Maryland and I wanted to introduce myself in hopes I find fellow fanciers that are close. I have about 35 birds now of different breeds but I am interested in breeded silkies. I am posting this in hopes that I find others in driving range with similar interest. I've only got 10 silkies now and I am hoping to find plenty more or eggs to incubate. My last hatch rate with eggs shipped from Washington was really low.
Thanks in advance;)

Does anybody know a good poultry house in Maryland that can process my culls for me? Some place I can drop them off and pick up frozen in a couple days would be great.

Feathered Friend, I have blue and black Silkies. I'm sure there is a spare rooster in there. I was just thinking of cutting back on them, actually. We have too many for the little coop they are in. I'm sure I will have eggs in the spring as well. Nobody is laying right now.

If you look on CL right now for Frederick area, there is a BYcer on there selling white Silkies. I saw his birds yesterday. Very nice. I bought 2 EE and 2 Maran pullets from him to keep my SFH roos happy while I look for SFH ladies and make it easy to pull crossbred eggs for eating, not hatching.

I can't see where you are in MD...the new iPad format makes that a bit difficult now. I am in Mt. Airy.

I just moved from southern MD to Frederick co after 16 years...rt 4 is the only way out of Calvert county to DC. One accident can make your commute home take all night. BTDT. But it is very family friendly and chicken friendly. Some areas of Anne Arundel county are very nice. We own a nice home in southern AA that we are working on selling, but the community does not allow chickens. You also have to look at HOA rules, depending on where you land, not just county and city rules.

Many people like Charles counties and the surrounding areas, but traffic down rt 5 is horrific. We almost bought a farm down there, and it would have taken my husband over 2 hours each way. We rethought that purchase after he tried it once. The commuter buses are stuck in it too.

If you can land relatively close to a metro station or train, that helps. My sister lives a 10 minute walk from a metro station and says it is easy for her to get to work, just takes a while. She also pays a lot of money for that house. But it takes my husband well over an hour to go the 35 miles to his office. He leaves at 7:30 and gets home at 8pm. His office is not near a train station, and when he tried buses, it took over 3 hours one way. So he drives. I take one of the kids to swim practice in Landover at 5pm, and it takes me 1.25 hours each way, with "good" traffic.

Stay out of PG county if you can. Taxes are high. There are other issues there as well. If you do end up there, southern Upper Marlboro is fairly chicken friendly; I work in that area (yes, I do a 1.75 hour commute each way, once a week), and my original chickens came from a breeder in Upper Marlboro. It's also not that far to commute into the city, but...it's PG county. If you have kids, don't do the school system there. It's horrible.

Montgomery has high taxes and lots of rules and regulations. School system is supposedly better.

Baltimore has good points, but many of those low cost homes have a lot of issues or are old. Check out taxes too and make sure you are OK with them.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. I like it here a lot. There are many good points about living in the DC area. But just be realistic about how long it might take for a commute. A commute from Baltimore doesn't look far mile-wise, but it will suck up tons of time. COL here is also higher than one might expect. I've been pretty upset at how expensive food has gotten lately. I used to feed us all for half of what I'm spending now.

Hi! I know I'm technically a pa girl but I'm only a mile and a half from harford county ^^ :D I only have a small backyard flock but I wuv em and enjoy chatting with fellow chicken enthusiasts. Still learning the ins and outs of this website but feel free to message me!

Hi! I know I'm technically a pa girl but I'm only a mile and a half from harford county ^^
big_smile.png
I only have a small backyard flock but I wuv em and enjoy chatting with fellow chicken enthusiasts. Still learning the ins and outs of this website but feel free to message me!

Hi Kiomey,

I am originally from Maryland but now live in Stewartstown, Pa close to the harford county line and also have a small flock of 5 hens, one LF cuckoo marans and 4 bantams (SLW, turken,
Old English and Cochin X) Been thinking about getting a speckled sussex and black maran so if you ever decide you want to order more let me know and maybe we could combine our
order.

Wanda

Back
Top Bottom