MARYLAND THREAD!

I've never seen it but the only reason to really do that is so in these shorter days everything will keep laying

We don't do a light, for fire hazard reasons. But for people who do lights for egg production, I've heard that the best way is to turn it on in the morning, so they keep their regular rhythm for going to bed at dusk. I would think that the days are already getting short enough that you might want to start. Ideally 14-15 hours of light per day. I've heard that if you wait too long, you can't get them going again.

Anyone in maryland have more hens available. Looking to get rid of my old english game bantams also if anyone is interested

I have some nice 2 month old pullets that I'd like to sell. Should come into lay in early spring. I'd keep them to sell then if I had more room, and might just have to squeeze them in somewhere. They are Black Sexlinks that lay blue eggs (true black Am as the sire) and Welsummers. I really like the sexlinks as production layers, they eggs are sky blue, not as deep a blue as a true Ameraucana because they only have 1 blue egg gene, but they look very nice in a carton with some white and brown eggs for contrast.

I'm near Philly, sort of far away for many of you in Maryland, but I might be able to get them to Carroll County in the next few weeks, if that is closer.

I had a light last year and now with day light savings I will put it on this weekend when I have time to set it. I do not use a heat light just a 60 watt bulb so no fire hazard, last year I think I had it come on around 4 or 5pm just before dark and go off around 10pm. and yes it kept me in eggs all winter.....

Back
Top Bottom