MARYLAND THREAD!

While I like the privacy fence idea we just don't have the money to hire someone to do it, or the time to do it ourselves. It's on our list of things to do.
Minimum requirement for the county is 1 acre.

Hi fellow Marylanders and BYC members! I wanted to ask if anyone were aware of somewhere to buy started pullets and cockerels within a few hours driving distance of the NCR? Specifically, I am looking for a Blue Wheaten started cockerel similar to the below picture.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
S/F
SoMdChicken

posting for a friend...
Won't do this again... Long story...was going to get some EE chicks back in early July, friend says get me one and I do. Friend now says it is a male and doesn't want this gorgeous 5 month old from a reputable breeder (she already has one for 5 hens). Don't have photos but wanted to see if anyone is looking for an EE rooster.

This is my first winter with chickens , I got then early spring and they have been outside in the coop since the end of May .
I have sand in my run and coop , I like the sand and have no problems using it for the warmer months. I am just wondering if I should change it so something else for the winter , like shavings to help keep them warm .

I plan on putting up some plastic around the bottom half of the run to cut down on the wind and snow , it already has a roof .
There is no electricity to the coop .

What do other use inside their coop for the winter ? Or do you keep it the same year round.

I have an enclosed coop and the most I change for winter and summer is the amount of air I let in with the windows. the colder it gets the more I shut the windows, I leave one cracked and there is a small gap at the top of my coop to keep air flow. I know moisture is bad. I use sand inside the coop and have a light to keep them laying, NOT a heat light. My run is enclosed and they are in there when we are not home. The hawks in the area prevent me from letting them out all the time. My run is just dirt, I do not put anything special in the run. As long as the coop is not too drafty they should be warm enough.

Hello!,

Im in Southern Maryland ( La Plata) very new to the site, and only slightly less new to raising chickens. My father and I purchased some straight run chicks last year hoping that we'd get a decent number of hens. Turns out not so much as seven out of the ten were roosters.

Now we love our boy's, their feathers are beautiful and they are all hilarious, but they keep knackering the three hens we have and it's starting to wear badly on our girls. We're also very concerned because as they get older we've noticed they've gotten more aggresive toward each other and we don't want any of our pretty birds hurt.

We want to find new homes for some of our boys ( we've decided to keep three of our favorites and get more hens) but we don't really know anyone in the area and we want to make sure there going somewhere they'll be healthy and happy ( and not just until they end up in a stew or on a plate) .

Can anyone help us find new homes for our boys? Or recommend us to some organization or some such that would take them in?

Our boys are two white plymouths and two Golden laced wyandottes

Back
Top Bottom