May 2010 Pullets....waiting on first eggs?

Really?!? My April 2010 babies have been laying for a solid month now!
Guess I had early bloomers...?
hmm.png

ETA We get between 4-6 eggs/day, with 6 standards and 3 silkies. Even the silkies have been laying, but one's gone broody on me just starting yesterday...

Quote:

Last edited:
So excited
ya.gif
to find my first welsummer egg in the box only to realize it had been punctured by somebody's beak!!
somad.gif
rant.gif

My first egg ever!!!!! I'm so excited! I bought 2 BR and 2 GLW that hatched May 1-ish. I've been checking the coop 6 times a day (all after work) thinking "now?" "now?" "how about now?"

One of the BR has been "singing" (?) for about 2-3 weeks and finally laid an egg yesterday. Nearest I can figure, she was at 22 weeks. Nothing from the other 3. If you are waiting, it WILL happen!

First egg, but thin shelled and broken.
sad.png

Snickers is a hatchery Cuckoo Marans, a dear sweet-tempered girl, and she finally laid her first egg. She is almost exactly 4 months old - born May 1st. She laid it in the nest box, and while her four "sisters" set up a cacophony of Egg Song din that sent the bantams running for cover. But it was thin-shelled, which I hope doens't foretell a problem. Is a first egg often broken? I don't know if she pecked it or stepped on it, but the shell was paper thin and may have even broken just from being sat on.

Look what I found this morning! Not sure if it was laid early this morning or yesterday afternoon - yesterday was a rare day when dh closed up the coop!

60001_img_2932.jpg

The pullet egg (laid by a 21 weeker) next to an egg from our 2-year-old Black Sex-Link.

60001_img_2938.jpg

It is so darn adorable. My freshman daughter will be thrilled!

Last edited:
My 21 week old BR's are showing signs. Found a couple singing the egg song at about 11:10 this morning in the front yard but found no eggs. Hadn't seen them squat, but saw the rooster getting really friendly with one of the galls last night, so squatting must be going on at some point.

Here is a pic of one of the girls. The face has only started turning red in the last week or so.

58919_101_0536.jpg

All eight of my may third babies are now laying! got 8/8 eggs today for the first time!!
smile.png
Four little brown ones and four big white ones (those leghorns never laid pullet eggs, just went right to the full sized models).

Found a couple of soft shell eggs today, and not in the nest boxes. I think I have a couple more layers starting!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom