May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I have 10 barnyard mixes set to hatch May 25th. That’s the last day of school for me so on the last day of school, I can look forward to coming home to hatching chicks. A great way to start off the summer.
Nice to know someone else around here is still in school. My hatch date is the same day, although my last day will be the 23rd.

Ended up coming in to work anyways today.

1st incubator: all 7 look wonderful. Heading into lockdown tomorrow. Very excited.

2nd incubator: it’s day 4&5 for these guys. Out of 11 total, 6 are developing nicely. I have 3 no goods and 2 possibly but not likely. 1 of the detached air cells is no longer detached and has veins!

Sadly it’s looking like none of the 4 Barbu de Watermaals are developing. 2 were no good and 2 possible but not likely. Pretty darn sad about that one.

I am by no means an expert. Only on my third hatch :) I always candle big side down. I did two hatches with shipped eggs and candled that way. One hatch was awesome and the other was quite bad.

It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there is veining which is good! but the way it’s layered I’m not used to.
I flipped one. I am sure it's not even the same one. But this air cell looks decent I think ...other than...its off to the side a bit....

Turned it black and white bc you really can't see air cell well otherwise

Attachments

• 20230507_165212.jpg
    20230507_165212.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
Ended up coming in to work anyways today.

1st incubator: all 7 look wonderful. Heading into lockdown tomorrow. Very excited.

2nd incubator: it’s day 4&5 for these guys. Out of 11 total, 6 are developing nicely. I have 3 no goods and 2 possibly but not likely. 1 of the detached air cells is no longer detached and has veins!

Sadly it’s looking like none of the 4 Barbu de Watermaals are developing. 2 were no good and 2 possible but not likely. Pretty darn sad about that one.

That's a bummer! Hopefully the 2 come through 🤞🤞🤞

I flipped one. I am sure it's not even the same one. But this air cell looks decent I think ...other than...its off to the side a bit....

Turned it black and white bc you really can't see air cell well otherwise
Saddled air cells (off to the side) seem to be common in shipped eggs. My first hatch were all very wonky saddled air cells and hatched well. As long as they are not detached they should be fine 😊

Day 20 officially started at 10am. I was away alllll day and it was a very busy weekend so far. No pips or wiggles as far as I can see. I will do a candle tonight and see where I am at.
I’m considering brooding them in coop when they are a bit older if it warms up a bit overnight @junior67. This flock integration I have going on between my two groups has not been smooth! I know the brinsea brooder plate isn’t good under certain temps but may try that plus mamma heating pad. We are still getting negative temps (Celsius) and will until June. Mostly -2c to -3c so far. Most nights have been 0 which is good here lol
The -2 is a bit colder than when I started but we have had night in the 30's F for a lot of the time I have been brooding in my coop. And probably a few in the high 20's.... Mine have all done great!!!! And at 3 & 6 weeks were out in the coop running around with the big ones. I love brooding in my coop!!!

Geez, and I thought things were bad over here, lol! Although it's finally warming up, again. We had SUMMER weather a few weeks ago, then early Spring weather again, then five straight days of cold and rain (at least not snow!). At least it's no longer dipping below 0 at night, although sometimes it's close.

Right now it's that awkward time where my a/c goes off during the day, and my heater at night.
Sounds like the weather we have had here in MA!!

It's day 18, putting 15 eggs into lockdown. While doing the final candling, I pick up the next egg and hear "CHEEP!"

I'm like, no way. Start candling and I literally feel and hear it scrambling against the egg shell!

I very quickly candled a few more and then just hastened them all into lockdown. I think I've got an early hatcher on my hands! It's a French Black Copper Maran so I wasn't able to see any detail when I candled, but the cheeps and movement are so obvious. I'm so excited. <3

Back
Top Bottom