Moving long distance with livestock

I completely understand wanting to keep your animals and chickens. We do get attached. I think your 18 hour drive will turn into a 20 to 24 hour drive. That's long, but I think it's doable. You would need to figure out where you will be able to clean out the trailer and chicken crate a few times, or they will all asphyxiate. Maybe even bring plastic bags with you to hold the waste until you get to your destination? I would definitely look into having the cow come with the horse. Let someone else handle that for you.

I would put the 10 chickens into 2 or three large dog crates with straw in the bottom. Bring a bale of straw so when you stop at night you can clean them out. The crates can go into a back seat, which would leave room for the heifer and goats in the trailers. If it’s a bumpy ride I would give them a food & water bowl at each stop, and if it’s a straight flat ride I’d leave them in for the birds.
B38FB0C5-6825-4777-9B41-A059DF8AF0CC.jpeg

This might seem like too little space, but you have to remember that factory chickens are transported by the thousands in extra cramped conditions 21D76588-DF15-4909-88E4-B8BB36124019.jpeg

This might seem like too little space, but you have to remember that factory chickens are transported by the thousands in extra cramped conditions View attachment 1961708
But, a bunch of the commercial chickens die during these trips to the butcher. I honestly think putting the crates in the horse trailer, well locked into place, is better. Think about what the car would smell like after having chickens in it for 20+ hours. :sick

But, a bunch of the commercial chickens die during these trips to the butcher. I honestly think putting the crates in the horse trailer, well locked into place, is better. Think about what the car would smell like after having chickens in it for 20+ hours. :sick

I had my chickens using the basement as a coop for months and I assure you, the smell will cling onto everything you hold dear :sick but I imagine I’d prefer the smell of 10 chickens for 20+ hours more than three goats or a cow. I’ve only had the chickens though...

I had my chickens using the basement as a coop for months and I assure you, the smell will cling onto everything you hold dear :sick but I imagine I’d prefer the smell of 10 chickens for 20+ hours more than three goats or a cow. I’ve only had the chickens though...
:lau I wouldn't put the goats or the cow in the back seat either.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

We are looking at moving next year (fingers crossed). Without stopping the drive is about 18 hours. We obviously need to stop for gas, food and bathroom breaks.

We are downsizing our animals but still want to bring some of them with us. My horse will come separately as I'm hoping the timing works out and she will be at a trainers while we move, and I can just pay a hauler to bring her out once we are settled.

We would like to make the drive with our heifer calf (jersey x hereford, currently 7 1/2 months), two (possibly three) Nigerian Dwarf goats and 8-10 chickens. I currently have almost 30 chickens, I'm trying really hard to decide who to re-home and who to keep. I know it would probably be easier to move without the chickens but I really love my flock and would like to bring them with me if at all possible.

Any tips on moving them all? Any chance it's possible to bring them all in one trip (two horse trailer). I am thinking that we will take turns driving/sleeping and drive straight through so that we don't have to unload/reload the cow and goats.
If you are moving within the same province, this is not a problem but if you are moving through and into a different province make sure that you have all the necessary inspections and check to see if any permits are required for your designation area and any provinces that you will be traveling through.

If you are moving within the same province, this is not a problem but if you are moving through and into a different province make sure that you have all the necessary inspections and check to see if any permits are required for your designation area and any provinces that you will be traveling through.
No inspections needed. Zero border crossings. I hauled 9 Cockerel to Saskatchewan from my place. :frow

Back
Top Bottom