Muscovy keepers share your pics!

i only have 4 ducks 5 days ago the other day one of my aunt gave me another one... So happy i enjoy taking care of them

Last edited:

My Muscovies are molting. They look so scraggly. I am not planning on clipping wings again (unless they suddenly develop wanderlust, which considering they sit in their pen all day even when I open the gate seems unlikely). They will be living in my garden over the winter and it is not as secure as their pen, so leaving the wings not clipped should allow the females to fly to escape any predators that show up. Hopefully there won't be too many predators. We will be using our now defunct upright freezer as a house for them, modifying it by cutting the door in half and using 1/2 for an "awning" and the other half will stay shut, giving them a warm, secure house and protection from the cold. Not sure how it will work out but we thought it was worth a try.

My Muscovies are molting. They look so scraggly. I am not planning on clipping wings again (unless they suddenly develop wanderlust, which considering they sit in their pen all day even when I open the gate seems unlikely). They will be living in my garden over the winter and it is not as secure as their pen, so leaving the wings not clipped should allow the females to fly to escape any predators that show up. Hopefully there won't be too many predators. We will be using our now defunct upright freezer as a house for them, modifying it by cutting the door in half and using 1/2 for an "awning" and the other half will stay shut, giving them a warm, secure house and protection from the cold. Not sure how it will work out but we thought it was worth a try.

Oh, yay. I'm not the only one who's ducks look like weedwhacker accidents at molting time!!! Just Kidding, she's gorgeous.

Here's one of my blue/lav split girls who was bred to a black/lav split drake. The babies are light lav, lav, blue, and black.
Ok, yes, I'm just showing off. I Love Blue.

Those are gorgeous ducks Lehcar.

Oh, and so I don't post ten million times: I also vote that Buck tie a string around that thing. I wonder if it's a blood boil left over from the enteritis?

Wrong duck, she's a very healthy girl, I think this is a natural thing in French white muscovies but I'm not sure
well, it was a thought. I've never seen anything like that in all my years of owning Muscovy. It still looks like a blood blister to me though. Sub-dermal hematoma sort of thing. I don't have the faintest clue though.

I think the string idea is a good one, one I might try, but I'd wanna know what was in there before. Not that it matters, I just like blood and pus, lol. Something very satisfying about popping a big pimple, right? Maybe not, lol, but I'm funny that way.

-Kathy
lau.gif

Ok, so what about tie it tight, just into the healthy caruncle, then cut it off, then poke about to see what gruesome stuff is hidden inside??
tongue.png

Or, if it´s tied and something else pecks at it, it won´t bleed/leak much anyway, but you´ll lose your goo.....
sickbyc.gif

Here's one of my blue/lav split girls who was bred to a black/lav split drake. The babies are light lav, lav, blue, and black.
Ok, yes, I'm just showing off. I Love Blue.

Those are gorgeous ducks Lehcar.

Oh, and so I don't post ten million times: I also vote that Buck tie a string around that thing. I wonder if it's a blood boil left over from the enteritis?
Not gloating, of course!
wink.png
Seriously..question. If I don´t get any blues in this clutch, but only black barred drakes, and mum being a blue of some sort, if I keep a black barred is it likely to be split, or does it work that only half of them are split, so there´s no way of knowing at this stage?

I don't have the faintest clue though.
gig.gif

Wrong duck, she's a very healthy girl, I think this is a natural thing in French white muscovies but I'm not sure
What would be a natural thing in 'french' white muscovies buck? Enteritis? Or the blob?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom