Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I think I am going to drive down and purchase at least one hen so that I have the lavender gene in my flock.  I haven't bred any of them yet so I am not sure what hidden traits they may carry.  I am pretty excited about this upcoming Spring.

I want to combine the lilac, lavender and barred genes and see what I can get. :love  
I think I am going to drive down and purchase at least one hen so that I have the lavender gene in my flock.  I haven't bred any of them yet so I am not sure what hidden traits they may carry.  I am pretty excited about this upcoming Spring.

I want to combine the lilac, lavender and barred genes and see what I can get. :love  

Lavender is recessive so if you breed with any other colors that don't carry lavender then the bird will be black based. Lavender is a pastel gene that dilutes all colors in it's double form.

I realize that but having one visible lavender is a start if only so her babies will carry it and I can expand it out into my future flock. I have a link to a Muscovy genetic calculator. It has taught me a lot. It seems that recognizing the colors may be the most difficult part of this for me.

I used to breed lovebirds and they have many sex linked colors as well as recessive genes that require two copies to be visible. So I have a base knowledge of how it works due to having them.

Hey I'll have lavender split to chocolate and lavender split to chocolate barred, chocolate split to lavender and csl barred, and then blue and black babies this year...desperately wanting to trade for lilacs...duns, khakis creams whatever. Also blues and blacks have blue eyed parents. Anyone wanting to trade lemme know

Hey I'll have lavender split to chocolate and lavender split to chocolate barred, chocolate split to lavender and csl barred, and then blue and black babies this year...desperately wanting to trade for lilacs...duns, khakis creams whatever. Also blues and blacks have blue eyed parents. Anyone wanting to trade lemme know

I wish I could trade! I have lilacs but am to far away and cant ship.

Wish you were closer!

Same! I'll have lilacs but I can't ship.
barnie.gif

Okay everyone I recently thought my two black and white muscovy ducks were male and my white duck is a female. So imagine my surprise when I came out and saw my one black and white duck fighting and holding down my other black and white duck it appeared like they were copulating, he help the other one down quite a few long seconds. Aside from vent sexing these two, is there another way? Here are pics of the ducks in question and the white female.

The duck in the background is the one that was on top of the other black and white one in the foreground and of course my female is the all white one. Sorry this may not be a good picture I have a couple more.

The next one and last one is a picture of the transgressor

Last edited:
Okay everyone I recently thought my two black and white muscovy ducks were male and my white duck is a female. So imagine my surprise when I came out and saw my one black and white duck fighting and holding down my other black and white duck it appeared like they were copulating, he help the other one down quite a few long seconds. Aside from vent sexing these two, is there another way? Here are pics of the ducks in question and the white female.

The duck in the background is the one that was on top of the other black and white one in the foreground and of course my female is the all white one. Sorry this may not be a good picture I have a couple more.

The next one and last one is a picture of the transgressor
I only have Pekin ducks. But my females (I have 2) do this. I was told it was a show of dominance. Could males do this behavior as well? I have no drakes only hens so really know nothing about boys! LOL

Back
Top Bottom