My chickens are soooo mean! Pecked the little one! Will she make it??

hugs.gif
Sorry to hear aobut your troubles. Try scrambling an egg for your hen, tempting and good for her. Hopefully she drank the water if her cage is not wet. All you can do is try, some birds have more fight than others, and shock alone can do a bird in. It really isn't that your birds are mean, it's their nature. Once a bird is pecked enough (or injured) that it becomes red they will continue to peck it, even to death. Hopefully she perks up in a day or two.

Well they are not overly friendly even to me unless I have something in my hand. Lol I know it's there nature, my family was raised on a farm, my dad is amazed it's even alive and thought I should have killed it ;/ but good news, this am she was a little more chipper and seemed to have ate and drank!!! Her head still looks bad, but hopefully she will be a fighter! Anyone think I should give her antibiotics just in case? Would they have that at a feed store?
Thanks for the replies! Hope to post better pics soon!

I don't see why you can't give her antibiotics, but if you are applying them topicly then they probably aren't needed. Just continue to do what you are doing as long as she seems to be improving! And yes we do need pics
wink.png

Last edited:
if you seprate her she will recover. i had the same thing happen to one of my young ones. so i put an ointment on her and put her inthe coop at night.

She's in the bathroom back in a brooder, she's little so it doesn't bother her. She spills her water and she doesn't move too much. But she did stand up when I got home from work. Head still looks bad, and she doesn't move her head around like normal.

give her time to heal and watch her wound. it might work if you put raw apple cider vineger in her drinking water to help the healing process.

I'm trying... I just feel helpless. :( I'm a RN, wouldn't know it... Easier to care for a human. What does the vinegar do for the wound? With us protein promotes wound healing... She doesn't seem to peck well enough to drink. I'm assuming that's why she spills her water.

Wound care for humans and animals is basically the same,since you are a RN you know what to look for as far as infection goes/wound healing. Keep her warm,encourage eating/drinking,keep wound clean. Try adding water to her feed,this is easier for frail/ill birds to eat and most love it. She is probably in pain so this might be one reason she is not eating/drinking much.

If she is eating, you can put some water in the food to make it soupy. They usually really attack that. It might take them at least once to try scrambled egg, but once they try it they love that. Do you have a little stuffed animal she could snuggle with? Or a mirror where she could see herself? Would there be any way that you could bring in another chicken to keep her company, or take her out to the run for visits?

Back
Top Bottom