My Dog Is Infested With Ticks!

Pics

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
We live in a suburban environment and somehow my Schnauzer always gets tick every year. We went on a walk four day ago and he loves walking straight through the thickest branchiest bush and the longest grass he can find. I found a tick in my bed. My sister found a tick crawling up her arm. We found a tick on our Schnauzer’s leg and my mom found a tick on her arm today. It gives me anxiety! I check myself probably twice a day and it gives me anxiety that I’ll find a tick. He’s getting groomed by my mom tomorrow when she has time. Just worried there’s ticks everywhere spread throughout the house?? After he gets groomed he’s going to get frontline on him. Do you think there’s ticks just crawling around the house?

We live in a suburban environment and somehow my Schnauzer always gets tick every year. We went on a walk four day ago and he loves walking straight through the thickest branchiest bush and the longest grass he can find. I found a tick in my bed. My sister found a tick crawling up her arm. We found a tick on our Schnauzer’s leg and my mom found a tick on her arm today. It gives me anxiety! I check myself probably twice a day and it gives me anxiety that I’ll find a tick. He’s getting groomed by my mom tomorrow when she has time. Just worried there’s ticks everywhere spread throughout the house?? After he gets groomed he’s going to get frontline on him. Do you think there’s ticks just crawling around the house?
Do you give a monthly preventive of any kind? Dogs really need it, even if they're inside most of the time.

Seresto, comfortis, or advantage multi are all good preventives.

If not given preventives they can also develop heartworms, which are from mosquitoes and it is fatal if not treated.

Also a side note: Frontline is no longer a good preventive as ticks & fleas have become used to the ingredients they use. It's pretty ineffective.

YUP. Dogs need protection from ticks. I don't love feeding them pesticide but they need the treatment. Lately, I've been finding ticks on myself as well (northeast florida here) and it is most likely because the dogs are carrying them in, but at least we have them regularly protected through medication. I absolutely need to be better about checking them and myself though. It's just that time of year.

I literally just pulled a tick off of my black fluffy dog Sterling. I keep pulling ticks off of him. It's between 1-3 attached ticks a day! We got him a flea/tick collar for him, and it doesn't work at all! I hate ticks! And I'm sick of them! It's a really bad year for ticks. :(

Here's a link that I found. It talks about the same collar (Seresto) that I got for Sterling. It has a bunch of things that might be able to work instead.
https://welovedoodles.com/why-is-th...veral reasons, but,back of their body exposed.

when you come inside check him all over and pluck all of them off. There are probably ticks in the house at this rate. Check yourself and make family members too. What preventative is your dog on? if you say none, it needs to be on some ASAP. The ticks will still latch on but they will die
He’s currently not on any. We’re worried that if he does have ticks on him (highly likely) that when we would put tick prevention on him, all the ticks would come pouring off him and disperse throughout the house and latch onto us? Would that happen? Or can we put it on with ticks on him?

Do you give a monthly preventive of any kind? Dogs really need it, even if they're inside most of the time.

Seresto, comfortis, or advantage multi are all good preventives.

If not given preventives they can also develop heartworms, which are from mosquitoes and it is fatal if not treated.

Also a side note: Frontline is no longer a good preventive as ticks & fleas have become used to the ingredients they use. It's pretty ineffective.
Thanks for the help! That’s interesting that frontline isn’t good anymore. I’ll use something else then.

YUP. Dogs need protection from ticks. I don't love feeding them pesticide but they need the treatment. Lately, I've been finding ticks on myself as well (northeast florida here) and it is most likely because the dogs are carrying them in, but at least we have them regularly protected through medication. I absolutely need to be better about checking them and myself though. It's just that time of year.
Yeah it’s also difficult to find ticks because he has a longer coat and we need him groomed to get a better look at him. I hate this time of year because it’s tick season. Ticks have to be my most hated bug.

I literally just pulled a tick off of my black fluffy dog Sterling. I keep pulling ticks off of him. It's between 1-3 attached ticks a day! We got him a flea/tick collar for him, and it doesn't work at all! I hate ticks! And I'm sick of them! It's a really bad year for ticks. :(

Here's a link that I found. It talks about the same collar (Seresto) that I got for Sterling. It has a bunch of things that might be able to work instead.
https://welovedoodles.com/why-is-the-seresto-collar-not-working/#:~:text=There are several reasons, but,back of their body exposed.
That’s an interesting article. Thanks for the info! That’s a lot of ticks each day. Hope it ends soon! Tick season is terrible. This year seems especially worse where I live.

Back
Top Bottom