My dogs killed 5 of my Neighbors chickens!

If your dogs had broken into the coop/run and killed the chickens, then yes absolutely you should pay for the lost birds. However, if the birds were not contained, the owner had to know that the flock was at risk of being killed by predators. It just so happened that the predators were your dogs.

I agree with this. If the birds were in your yard when the dogs got out, then chased them into their own yard and killed them ? Well the chickens were not contained in their own yard now were they ? $150 is ridiculous. This same thing happened to me and my neighbor asked 'what do i owe you' and i charged her $6 each, cause that's what i paid for the darn things ! If it had been a coyote who would she have tried to put the shaft to then ?

Since your dogs went on the neighbor's property and killed the birds there, yes, you owe for them. The law generally required that your dogs be in your control; when they door-dashed and chased the birds and then killed them, they were not controlled. As to the birds' value, ask them to document how they came up with their pricing. Be polite in asking. Some birds are more valuable (from a $$ standpoint) than others. That the birds were acquired for free is immaterial.

I can see there point but 150$ is way too much I would settle and give them 80 at the max no way would I give them 150 if it's just your regular chicken breed. And maybe this will force her to keep her chickens contained

If my understanding of situation is correct, then payment should be reduced by half relative to the agreed value of birds. Both parties then need to improve containment or be prepared to repeat transactions.

What kind of chickens were they? 50-75 is sufficient for run if the mill unknown age laying hens. If they were young pullets I could see 20-25 at most each.

That's unfortunate. Maybe offer to go buy her new chickens because it'll cost you less than that... Or tell her you looked up the going rate and it's about $20 each and give her $80... And maybe throw in a bag of feed?

I agree that you ought to pay her, because you said that you would. I also agree that she is really exploiting a situation that is her own fault, as much as anyone's. However, for myself, I hate tension where I live. I need, at a minimum, to be indifferent with my neighbors. I am not an over-the-fence-chatter kind of person, but I absolutely cannot stand to live where there is hostility and tension. Having said that, if you are like me, then $150 is a small price to pay to keep the peace, but I would tell her, in no uncertain terms, that if her chickens come onto your property again, you will seek an injunction to abate a nuisance, and that you will ask that she cover your legal expenses. Then, follow through, if necessary. On the other hand, if you are (like my husband) a person who does not mind a certain amount of healthy hostility in your life, then I would (in an offended tone) express that you think it a shame that she would try to take advantage of you in this way. Offer to give her whatever you think is fair (be able to document the payment - check or M.O., perhaps), and if she refuses, tell her to sue you. Might give you something to think about, while you wash dishes or whatever. Even I acknowledge that it is good to have a place to vent your hostile feelings, other than those nearest and dearest. Heehee! Good luck with this! Sincerely!

While there have already been a number of interesting and valid responses to the OP, I still find myself wanting to join the conversation.

To me, it is actually a tricky one … my back yard is fenced but there is easy access from the front yard to the back yard and free range is supervised due to the possibility of a neighbours dog getting out, strays etc. My gals do not roam out of the back yard.

If my gals were in a neighbour’s yard and got attacked by the neighbour’s dog; not the neighbour’s fault.

If my gals were attacked by a neighbour’s dog that had wandered into my yard then I would be pretty peeved and that would definitely be the neighbour’s fault.

But, if my gals were in my neighbour’s yard, attracted the attention of the neighbour’s dog who chased them back into my yard and killed them, then I would not think the neighbour was 100% at fault as my chickens should not have been there in the first place to attract the attention of the dog.

I agree with centrarchid while not actually laying blame because this is a sad situation but both parties were technically 'at fault' and you having to pay $150 seems extreme to me.

If your neighbour believes the ‘value’ is $150 .. I would halve it.

I am sorry that happened but you did give you word so that means something. She nuts on her price through. When it comes to my birds if my bird get killed on their turf then the dog fair game/animal and the owner should pay for the bird but if they were killed because they got out and then got caught in my yard thats fair game for said animal not exactly the owners fault.

Back
Top Bottom