My Experience With Rural King "Ameraucanas"

CallMeMealworm

Songster
Jun 16, 2020
Hi! I started my chicken adventure this year. I've tried different things and some things worked well and some things didn't.

Whoops! Still posting! This will be more in depth haha

Anyways, one of the things I tried was Rural King "Ameraucana" day old chick pullets. I have also done multiple hatches, also my first time doing that this summer.

I was assured by a store worker that the chicks were Ameraucana. I was looking for a large fowl blue layer, and Ameraucanas fit what I was looking for. Plus pea combs are good for bad winters which we have.

I raised these little guys for six weeks They were healthy, feathering out, growing well, and by six weeks it was time for the outside coop for a week and then by 7 weeks we let them free range.

Unfortunately, they were still very small and predators took them one by one. Finally, I ended up rehoming the birds that were left for free to a person with an enclosed run.

I recently started over with Ameraucanas. I got eggs from a local lady who raises/breeds/shows. No shipping Lol

My experience with this is that I feel like I was mislead about the birds I bought. I could have made it work if the birds had been bigger. My large fowl birds are thriving. The Rural King Easter Egger bantams were too small to free range safely.

I attached some pictures of them and you can tell they are small Easter Eggers. They have no muffs or beards and some are cockerels.

It was a huge waste for me and I wish I had found a breeder and gotten eggs rather than purchasing birds that weren't actually anything like they were advertised to be, gender, breed, or size.

I'm probably going to send an email to Rural King customer service. I'm not asking for money. I just feel like they need to understand and hear the situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_122309.jpg
    IMG_20200807_122309.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20200903_182836.jpg
    IMG_20200903_182836.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200903_182107.jpg
    IMG_20200903_182107.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200914_194906.jpg
    IMG_20200914_194906.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20200914_194709.jpg
    IMG_20200914_194709.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Those hens are so pretty! I am so sorry that you had to lose them. Hopefully happy chickening from now on! 🐔

Last edited:
I am sooooooooooo sorry that I was so happy about how they were so pretty and all in my first post, that was mean. At first, you had just posted a little and said you were still posting, and then I said happy chickening without looking back at the post. So sorry! Let me re-do my post: Yes, I would totally call them too. I am so sorry for your losses, and I hope that you have healthy happy, predator-free chickens from now on. Hopefully you understand, and you have safe chickens!

I am sooooooooooo sorry that I was so happy about how they were so pretty and all in my first post, that was mean. At first, you had just posted a little and said you were still posting, and then I said happy chickening without looking back at the post. So sorry! Let me re-do my post: Yes, I would totally call them too. I am so sorry for your losses, and I hope that you have healthy happy, predator-free chickens from now on. Hopefully you understand, and you have safe chickens!
You're ok. Don't worry. We're all good

Ameracaunas or Americaunas are easter eggers and nor real breeds but derived from aracaunas. Aracaunas are a real breed and quite rare

Yep. Went to a local show breeder for the eggs this time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-142125~3.png
    Screenshot_20201007-142125~3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom