My leukemia's back.

:frow everyone!
I'm still here :D You have all been in my prayers, just been extremely summer busy lately like most of you and more so with the passing of hubby's younger brother. (Thank you each and all for the prayers and love) Some good that's come of that is it seems to have reminded the family that "pa" won't be around forever so the kids and grands are remembering where we live ;) so we have had lots of visitors lately. (all the male family members seemed to have developed collective amnesia the last couple years).

Was it Diva that was using the horrible 4 letter "S" word? Seems like our summers up here are always nothing more than a mad dash to get all the adding, taking away, cleaning, building, fixing up, etc. done before everything disappears under the "S" stuff again. Oh, and of course the new little critters that require extra attention to ensure they become big critters.

Is it alright if I share a bit of good news here? (I feel a bit guilty with all that Rachel and family are going thru now)

Some of you may remember that I am a 10 yr CML "liver" (I hate the word "survivor") and I had my latest oncologist roadtrip (everything for us is a roadtrip :rolleyes: ) yesterday and tho we won't get the quantitative PCR results back until Monday or Tuesday, I had the best CBC and chem panel numbers I've seen in years sooooo, (drumroll) it's looking VERY good that I am still in TFR :clap (treatment free remission), passing the one year mark, which is a big milestone for predicting the likelihood of continuing.

I pray that this happy word will be an encouragement to anyone reading who might not be as far along on their journey.
Like the great news Phil posted about, there are great breakthroughs happening for us almost every day it seems.

Is it alright if I share a bit of good news here? (I feel a bit guilty with all that Rachel and family are going thru now)

Some of you may remember that I am a 10 yr CML "liver" (I hate the word "survivor") and I had my latest oncologist roadtrip (everything for us is a roadtrip :rolleyes: ) yesterday and tho we won't get the quantitative PCR results back until Monday or Tuesday, I had the best CBC and chem panel numbers I've seen in years sooooo, (drumroll) it's looking VERY good that I am still in TFR :clap (treatment free remission), passing the one year mark, which is a big milestone for predicting the likelihood of continuing.

I pray that this happy word will be an encouragement to anyone reading who might not be as far along on their journey.
Like the great news Phil posted about, there are great breakthroughs happening for us almost every day it seems.
That is great news!

Good morning, team Rachel! Can't believe it's Friday, this week absolutely flew by(except the two hours spent at the dmv yesterday getting ds his learners permit....1.5 of which was just waiting for our number to be called :he....). Haven't been on much but am always thinking of and praying for the gang!

Nice to have you back HBH!
Thank you!

Good morning Team Rachael. Just got back from a PT scan. My insides are glowing now.
Did you try to go outside at night to see if you glowed?

:hugs i think that it is great that you are going through with this for your father, I wish you both the best of luck and swift healing :hugs
thank you and welcome
Hope it goes well!

Here is @donrae's link
https://www.gofundme.com/help-a-local-nurse-fight-luekemia

Thank you for posting this!! Don't forget that even $5-10 makes a difference!

And lastly anyone had experience with wound care??
My speckled sussex was attacked at night 4' up and under a net with no evidence of getting through the fence or what it was. She has a 2" open wound between her wings on top of her back. We cleaned it out last night with 70/30 peroxide/water, rinsed with sterile saline, then applied Betadine with a q-tip to the area around and under her wings, then put triple antibiotics on/into the wound. She was eating a bit of cat food (she would not eat anything else!) last night and today is eating a mush of chicken feed, cat food and Pedialyte. She started drinking this afternoon. We are keeping in her quiet in my bathroom with AC tucked with a towel and chux pad. I am trying to feed/water /check on her every hour to hour and half. She is moving a little bit to shift positions or I change it. We lost 2 already, have this one injured and another with a possible small wound but is fine.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Did you try to go outside at night to see if you glowed?

Thank you for posting this!! Don't forget that even $5-10 makes a difference!

My speckled sussex was attacked at night 4' up and under a net with no evidence of getting through the fence or what it was. She has a 2" open wound between her wings on top of her back. We cleaned it out last night with 70/30 peroxide/water, rinsed with sterile saline, then applied Betadine with a q-tip to the area around and under her wings, then put triple antibiotics on/into the wound. She was eating a bit of cat food (she would not eat anything else!) last night and today is eating a mush of chicken feed, cat food and Pedialyte. She started drinking this afternoon. We are keeping in her quiet in my bathroom with AC tucked with a towel and chux pad. I am trying to feed/water /check on her every hour to hour and half. She is moving a little bit to shift positions or I change it. We lost 2 already, have this one injured and another with a possible small wound but is fine.
When they get injured like that, they go into a bit of shock. She is starting to eat and drink so will likely get better. Keeping her quiet until the wound heals is key.

I do not bandage the wounds but use vetericyn wound spray twice a day.

sounds like you are doing everything right so far,

injured chickens like to be warm, make sure she continues to eat and drink
maybe get a baseline weight in case you need to tube-feed or give medication
hydration is key and way more important than food so dont be too worried if she stops eating so long as she stays hydrated

and just keep the wound clean, they heal very quickly
Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom