Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have reported this thread because of a rules violation. Minors are NOT to disclose their ages on this forum. Please refrain from advertising that you are underage. In addition, lets calm down a bit, please.

Can you post a link to that? I just checked the rules and I didn't see anything about that, just stuff about kids under 13 years of age. I'm certain I must have missed it though.
Leave her alone, she's only a kid.... not worth the effort.... maybe in a few more years when her head is screwed on properly..
Kids can learn. Maybe this will help, if she reads it.

I had an attack today, by a neighbor's dog. The dog is from down the street, nobody I know, but my neighbors two doors down know the people and insist it was the friendliest dog in the world.

When I got home one of my rabbit cages was ripped open. Three dead rabbits. The rest scattered to the wind. Dog attacked as soon as I opened the car door. Had to leave the family in the vehicle while I made it inside. Tried to run it off with a pellet gun, didn't work, so I had to put it down. The whole neighborhood was out, clambering for my blood (maybe a little exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have to deal with some vandalism over the next few days/weeks). Animal control showed up to drag the dog's body off, and half the neighborhood came out and tried to tell the guy that I dragged the dog onto my property to shoot it, and then when I held up the dead rabbits they suggested that I must have made the dog kill my rabbits. After all, that sweetheart dog would never do something like that.

Dogs belong restrained, people. It's for their own safety, because they are not as well behaved as we like to think our dogs are. It's also for the safety of the rest of the neighborhood, because dogs wander much more than most people think, and encounter many more people than we realize.

Hello:

It has been my experience that MOST neighbors who have a dog on the lose just DO NOT CARE what the dog does or where it goes.
MOST are just too lazy to control their animal and figure it is just natures way of dog ownership.
I have warned ALL my neighbors that I have chickens and if I see their dog on my property they get ONE chance to leave and never return.
I do not tolerate a stray dog on the property. I have woven wire put up along most of the property and a dog has to work its way to my chickens.
Just the other day a bull dog was in the yard. It did not go for the chickens so it got a warning shot across its head. I have not seen it since.
If I do see a dog and it does go after the chickens I pray for a good aim.
Dogs are killers it is just that simple. If my dog was in a neighbors yard and he killed livestock I would only expect him to be a target.
I lock him up during the day so he does not kill my chickens. He gets SUPERVISED runs during the day and let out at night.
I have not seen him go off the property and we close the gates so he would have to go a good distance to leave the property.
Most animals that are out at night are cats, varmint and coyote. He does not bother with cats, my barn cats have taken care of teaching
him they have claws and will use them.
He does not bark at night and stays close to the house.
This is how most people who have a dog should work it.
Since chickens and Guinea fowl are safe and sleeping in a secure place, no dog should be able to get at them at night.
Problem mostly solved.
Guinea G.

Biggest mistake a dog owner can make is your quote of I know my dogs. Dogs are animals - period. They do not think like humans. I worked with dogs for many years, training dogs for everything from a family pet to a professional police K9. I bred, trained and rescued dogs of all kinds. I owned a Belgian Malinois, not a common breed as a pet but still take can make wonderful ones with proper training and supervision. Q was a great dog I trusted him with my life and more than once did he prove his worth as a protection/companion dog. Until that one day, he killed a baby goat and then turned on me - the human who had raised and trained him from a pup. He had ME on the ground and I was screaming out commands at the top of my lungs until something clicked. He simply turned and walked away leaving me on the ground. Next came the hardest decision I ever had to make, he was humanely euthanized. This was my baby, he slept with me, let me know when my blood sugar was out of whack and protected me from harm. Dogs are dogs are dogs, they are an animal and in the scheme of things have only been domesticated a short period of time. How many times have you seen stories of dog attacks where the owner says "he never did anything like that before". I lived it, I know it happens.
I agree with this 100%. I am a nurse. Worst dog bite I treated was from a trained service dog - either a lab or a a golden- unprovoked attack on the family's child in front of the family. The family was in shock that their dog would do this. The child faced many surgeries to correct the wounds.

I agree with this 100%. I am a nurse. Worst dog bite I treated was from a trained service dog - either a lab or a a golden-  unprovoked attack on the family's child in front of the family. The family was in shock that their dog would do this. The child faced many surgeries to correct the wounds.
the only thing I disagree with here is the "unprovoked part". Parents don't like to admit their children could be capable of tormenting an animal. There was a dog that attacked a 2 or 3 year old, so they euthanized the dog. When they examined the dog after death, they found a 9" pencil jammed down the dog's ear canal.
A trained service animal doesn't just go off unhinged for no reason.

not this one.... I'm afraid, she's adamant her dogs are free to roam.... guess experience will be the best teacher for her.
Yeah, I was a kid not that long ago. I've learned a few lessons, at the expense of my animals.

I had dogs that I let roam free, they were absolutely non aggressive dogs. They liked to chase cats, but didn't know what to do with them when they got them. I saw one of them get a cat on it's back and it never bit it, just stood over it with a confused look on it's face.

The one came back one day look like death warmed over. Puking, horrible diarrhea, I did my best to keep her hydrated, but just when she seemed to be getting better she took a turn for the worse and I had to put her down. The male didn't make it home. I found his body in a field, no signs of trauma. Clearly they had been poisoned. Not sure if it was intentional or not. Maybe someone didn't like dogs. Maybe someone had something sitting out that shouldn't have been out. Maybe someone didn't like those dogs and fed them something laced with something. Who knows.

Not everyone has to learn their lessons that way though.

the only thing I disagree with here is the "unprovoked part". Parents don't like to admit their children could be capable of tormenting an animal. There was a dog that attacked a 2 or 3 year old, so they euthanized the dog. When they examined the dog after death, they found a 9" pencil jammed down the dog's ear canal.
A trained service animal doesn't just go off unhinged for no reason.
I disagree. All animals are capable of going off unhinged for no apparent reason. Just like people. There's not always an obvious reason. Sometimes there are reasons that simply are not apparent, and have nothing to do with mistreatment. Dogs are just as capable as humans of having strange mental issues.

Broke a chain? I'd pay to see it. Literally.

I am in no way defending the excuses being made by this kid for not containing the dogs but I will speak from experience that a dog most certainly can and will break chains. They do not snap them with brute strength but metal is capable of wearing thin, rather fast on a chain of an active dog and will eventually break. The snaps are the weakest spot, I used to get cow snaps and these would eventually break. If chaining dogs one must co finally check the chain and snaps to replace when needed

There is a difference between a heavy duty dog chain and a heavy duty chain. There are chains that will not be broken any time soon, even by a very active dog, that aren't too heavy for them to pull around.

I still think that a properly set up electric fence is the best way to contain most dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom