Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennhale

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Lewisburg, Tennessee
So our neighbors got a new dog, and over the past week it has killed one of my roosters, six laying hens, three Cornish Rock chicks, and two cuckoo maran chicks. Also three if our ducks. We let our chickens free range, but are now keeping them secured in the coop which they hate. We've tried talking to the neighbor, they said they would keep the dog in the house, of course when they let it out to go to the bathroom it's right back in our yard.
We've tried shooting it, but it's gotten where as soon as it sees us it takes off for its yard. I am so frustrated. I have never had any issues before this, and now I've lost half my flock.
I've been keeping my rifle right inside the back door and just biding my time for now.

To SternRose: If you choose to be a dog owner who does not contain your dog on your property, and you acknowledge that your dog trespasses on other people's property, then you and your dog are no more responsible than your neighbor and his dog.

Your dog "playing" with someone else's livestock can kill them. Are you willing to pay for an expensive show horse, a beef steer, a dairy cow, some little child's pet goat kid or lamb? Or if you are in fact under age, do you think your parents want to be held responsible for your irresponsibility (and theirs?)

Confine your dog, or someone who cares for their livestock will eventually solve the issue. What you call playing is harassment, and can cause the death of a mother giving birth, a newborn, or anything that was not built as tough as your unrestrained dog.

Grow up and show some responsibility.

Last edited:
I would have no problem shooting the dog, I would imagine there are leash laws in your area but even without them if the dog is killing livestock you can shoot it. Here we have a very ornery donkey who hates dogs and will stomp one in a second.

It's a law. And I will shot any dog that HAS KILLED at least 2 ofmylivestock! My husk is a show dog and she's the only one that gets a way with murder. But is she kills my nebiors livestock she's dead! So, any more comments? If not let's hear your story of how I should treat my dog.... If not then mind you own bees-wax.!
how you should treat your dog? You mind your own dogs and keep them in your own property instead of letting them be a nuisance... that's how.

I have 6 dogs, 4 Siberian Huskies, a Rottweiler, and a Belgian Malinios mix. Some are rescues and some are AKC purbreds. 1 rescue Siberian Husky, Sasha is a bird killer. I found out last year when my nieghbors chickens were in my yard and she killed 2 chicks. She busted a screen door when she saw them in my yard. I offered to replace the lost birds, but my neighbor said since it was on my property he wouldn't hold me responsible. Sasha then started climbing out of my yard, she didn't harm anything as I was right on her tail chasing her. But i ended up chaining her while I built an escape proof dog pen to contain her and the other 5 pooches. I have chickens and geese myself, and even with the chickens on the other side of their pen the dogs cannot escape, nor can the birds get in. However, some people 1/4 a mile away have a ton of loose dogs that have broken into my neighbors property and killed his birds. He shot 1 and called the sheriff. I have yet to be raided as I am always outside when my birds are loose in my yard. I have a loaded 9mm as a shotgun is impractical with how close we are to the street and I keep a metal pipe on the porch to smack a dog with if needed. If all else fails, my Belgian and Rott will tear up any dog entering my property and I will defend them. I am currently attempting to train those 2 dogs to "guard" the flock, we will see if I succeed.

P.S. as a dog/cat owner/rescuer I condem anyone who does not care enough about their animals to ensure their safety. As a chicken/goose momma I will shoot any animal that threatens my flock or other animals in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
No they know the dog is getting in our yard, I doubt they have the money to pay any kind of damages. The last time it did it, I put the dead chicks in a plastic bag and hung it on their door knob, then tied the stupid dog to the porch. Caught it out again the next day.
I've already warned them that if I caught the dog in my yard again I would shoot it, and it was since then that the last attack happened. They obviously just don't care. I have two bull mastiff/ Pyrenees mix puppies that have the run of our property so I can't call animal control. Just waiting for a good shot at this point.

We have five acres so that would be a LOT of electric fence. Lol At the moment the chickens are safe in their coop and fenced run, so it's just a waiting game til the dog slips up. If they cared anything for the dog they would either chain it when it's outside or find it a new home. If they don't care I sure don't care either.

I know the feeling, we lost 10 of our 16 chickens when a fat opossum decided to feast one night. We now set live traps with moist cat food. We've killed 3 opossum and relocated 1 raccoon in nine months. My brother lives in the country and his dog got out one time (always leashed) and the neighbor shot it. It devastated the family. I know its equally as devastating to lose your chickens too. Perhaps call your local animal control or law enforcement and ask what your options are. It seems that legally, through leashing laws they would be required to put in a fence or at least underground fencing for their dog. After you've contacted proper authorities let them know, they now have some options; fence the dog or continue as they are dong and the dog will either be hauled away by animal control or shot. In doing so you have clearly stated your boundaries and it is their choice. Keep in mind too that if you are willing to shoot their dog for entering your property, they have every right to shoot your birds or allow their dog to attack your birds if they wander onto their property. Nothing destroys a garden better than a few wandering chickens. Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom