Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
To SternRose: If you choose to be a dog owner who does not contain your dog on your property, and you acknowledge that your dog trespasses on other people's property, then you and your dog are no more responsible than your neighbor and his dog.

Your dog "playing" with someone else's livestock can kill them. Are you willing to pay for an expensive show horse, a beef steer, a dairy cow, some little child's pet goat kid or lamb? Or if you are in fact under age, do you think your parents want to be held responsible for your irresponsibility (and theirs?)

Confine your dog, or someone who cares for their livestock will eventually solve the issue. What you call playing is harassment, and can cause the death of a mother giving birth, a newborn, or anything that was not built as tough as your unrestrained dog.

Grow up and show some responsibility.

Happy Easter!!!

Last edited:
He dogs breed doesn't matter. Just because it's a "bird dog" doesn't mean it will kill them. I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and he could care less about the chickens. Great hunting dog.

I agree, animal control and your sheriff's office needs to be called ASAP.

It's a law. And I will shot any dog that HAS KILLED at least 2 ofmylivestock! My husk is a show dog and she's the only one that gets a way with murder. But is she kills my nebiors livestock she's dead! So, any more comments? If not let's hear your story of how I should treat my dog.... If not then mind you own bees-wax.!
how you should treat your dog? You mind your own dogs and keep them in your own property instead of letting them be a nuisance... that's how.

You should ask them if they are willing to build a fence around their yard and if while the fence is being built you should also ask them if they are willing to walk their dog on a leash while it uses the bathroom.

I have 6 dogs, 4 Siberian Huskies, a Rottweiler, and a Belgian Malinios mix. Some are rescues and some are AKC purbreds. 1 rescue Siberian Husky, Sasha is a bird killer. I found out last year when my nieghbors chickens were in my yard and she killed 2 chicks. She busted a screen door when she saw them in my yard. I offered to replace the lost birds, but my neighbor said since it was on my property he wouldn't hold me responsible. Sasha then started climbing out of my yard, she didn't harm anything as I was right on her tail chasing her. But i ended up chaining her while I built an escape proof dog pen to contain her and the other 5 pooches. I have chickens and geese myself, and even with the chickens on the other side of their pen the dogs cannot escape, nor can the birds get in. However, some people 1/4 a mile away have a ton of loose dogs that have broken into my neighbors property and killed his birds. He shot 1 and called the sheriff. I have yet to be raided as I am always outside when my birds are loose in my yard. I have a loaded 9mm as a shotgun is impractical with how close we are to the street and I keep a metal pipe on the porch to smack a dog with if needed. If all else fails, my Belgian and Rott will tear up any dog entering my property and I will defend them. I am currently attempting to train those 2 dogs to "guard" the flock, we will see if I succeed.

P.S. as a dog/cat owner/rescuer I condem anyone who does not care enough about their animals to ensure their safety. As a chicken/goose momma I will shoot any animal that threatens my flock or other animals in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
The bottom line is: Chickens need protection from roaming dogs and other predators, otherwise you must expect losses, potentially the loss of an entire flock. The other point is that dogs need to be kept at home, period. A roaming dog is a dog that is going to get into trouble eventually and putting neighbors in the nasty situation of having to deal with it is just irresponsible and disrespectful. They are always good dogs, until they day they are not! We put up fencing to keep our animals, all of them, on our property as well as to keep roaming dogs and predators out. I personally feel it is the only responsible thing to do.

I love my dogs very much!!!!!!! We have kennels for our girls!!! They ex scape!!! We even have tarps over the top!!!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom