Neighbors dog

Could you tell me more about how you work with them? I would love to be able to at least take the dogs out on a leach while the chickens are out without having the 1yr old Pitt bull pup drag me around!

First off be prepared to use a ton of treats. And I do mean a ton. You will be praising also, but the treats will be the starter. Sort of like when you were first training in basic commands. With mine it is a bit different. I get them to want to pay attention to me and not anybody or anything else. I make them sit calmly. To go into the pens, to leave the pens, go in or out any place, to eat or get a treat or even when we play fetch they must sit calmly before they get. This is always from day one. When they do as I want even if I had to assist them to do it at first they get a treat.Once they figure out that you will give them a treat for doing as you say they soon realize that ignoring the chickens is good cause we get a treat. Now what I am working on with my two is often basic commands. I am also building up the Great Pyr's self. She was very shy and timid when we first got her. She also has had issues with killing poultry. Since we started doing the dog out on the collars at night we have not had her kill one of the birds. So I think so of it was being bored in the pens.

For the collar training some of what I do she is on a 25 ft horse lead. I let them walk to the boundary until I hear the beeping. I then pull them back away from the boundary. This way they learn the beeping means to go back towards the house. Then I let them go a bit further past the beeping and let them get zapped and pull them back towards me. I get them to the point that just my voice is enough to get them to come back to me and I give them a treat and praised each time they come to me away from the boundary. After a few weeks of theat they get praised only with occasional treats. When they come back on their own without me having to tug on the lead or speak they get a treat and praised.

I treat training now like I do when they are very young puppies. I take my time and let them know they are loved and that this is the rules of this house. I let them know I am alpha and that I will prevail. I love my dogs to death, just like all my critters. They have their job and they know I am boss. I also try to be as loving as I can with them and to make things fun for them. Also both my dogs are of breeds that are suppose to be independent thinkers. They often will question commands or ignore them out right. My male has learned that I do not take kindly to being ignored. He does not even question me now. He does as I request. The girl on the other hand likes to test me and is finding out that testing me in not the best option. She is young yet since LGD breeds tend to mature between 24 and 36 months. I still have at least another 15 months before she will be matured.

Absolutely nothing... There wasn't even a "supervisor" for me to talk to... It was just to road guy that makes the trips and he said the same thing he told me on the phone.

He didn't say he didn't have a boss, just that there wasn't anyone for me to talk to... Basically told me nicely that they weren't gonna do anything and to get over it...

I would go above his head. If I had to I would call the state and get the name of his supervisor that way.

Back
Top Bottom