Neighbors dog

That's tough, and I don't have any experience with that. I've read that keeping them separated by a bit of a chicken wire divider so they can see each other for a few days or a week, then allowing them out to forage in the yard together sometimes helps, but I think someone with a lot more experience than I have might answer you better.

When I have one being overly aggressive to another she gets the time out cage. Small dog carrier. I give food and water to the aggressor in the cage ( just like I do for injured birds ) I wait a few days and then let the aggressor out. I watch and see what is what. If the aggression starts up I do it again for a few more days. Usually works the first time, but had one hen that decided she was going to take going in for a week before she got it through her head she was going to behave nicely or be dinner. I am not talking pecking order stuff. I have had a few hens that have gotten very aggressive with other birds.

When I have one being overly aggressive to another she gets the time out cage. Small dog carrier. I give food and water to the aggressor in the cage ( just like I do for injured birds ) I wait a few days and then let the aggressor out. I watch and see what is what. If the aggression starts up I do it again for a few more days. Usually works the first time, but had one hen that decided she was going to take going in for a week before she got it through her head she was going to behave nicely or be dinner. I am not talking pecking order stuff. I have had a few hens that have gotten very aggressive with other birds. 

Hens like that get hen peepers put on them at my house.

I found that separating them where they can see all the other chickens getting along helps them to get into the right frame of mind or they end up as dinner. I raise meat rabbits also and do not tolerate aggression.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I don't have anywhere I can separate her and it seems like they're just avoiding each other at this point.
In other news, I caught the neighbors dog in the act of destroying the vinyl trying to get out. I took a video. The woman told me that her dogs were only getting out through holes that my dogs made so it was my fault. It's nice to be vindicated even if it doesn't solve anything. I seriously considered sending her the video.

I text her and told her that the dog was trying to get out and she text back saying thanks for letting her know and that her parents were coming to close them up and see what they could do to patch the area the dog tore up.
Eta: I've vowed to shoot it if it comes back, which I DO NOT want to do, so I wanted to at least give her the chance to keep it contained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom