New Neighbors = pit bull = dead chickens

I dont know how much a person gets when someone's dog, cat or whatever kills a chicken. Ive worked several years to raise a flock. Whether its one or 15 the cost to replace lost birds is or can be extreme. Then there is the time factor of starting over.

Some counties/parishes are requiring dog owners who let their dogs roam free to pay a security deposit of anywhere from $150 - $300 after a first offense. A second offense, the dog is impounded and the fine is $500 and up with owner paying cost of court fees and damages. Judges are usually setting extremely HIGH punitive damages.

I know I said Id shoot a free roaming dog after a first offense but I think Ill let the courts handle it.That would take the guilt off me shooting some kid's pet and place the burden on some irresponsible owner/parent.

Be There Done That,
Gate

Last edited:
Quote:
i had that happen to me when i was 8 or 9 can't rembe. But anywase it's better to till him now. So you can oder more and get more this time. It's hard to take in at that age trust me i know. i am know 13 and looking back i am glad that i was there to say good by to them. R.I.P the dog that killed mine was rehomed thank god it almost a taked by frinds. I was off sick that day from school and me and my gramp came over to look at the garden thats when a saw the dog and all the fthers. hope for the best

sad.png
hit.gif
i am sorry for your sons loss maybe have a little talk with your neighbor and say your dog killed my sons pet, maybe then they will feel guilt and do something for your son...check the laws wherer you live before you decide to shoot the pit bull.... lucky i have a police chief who lives beside me and told me that if i or someone in my family feels threaten i have the right to protect myslef...( im pretty sure this law applies everywhere though)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the dog is in your coop, killing your birds, or is trying to escape after killing your birds, but still on your property, shoot first and then call the law. If the dog has killed your birds and has left your property, call the owner and give them a chance to make it right and then call the law and fill out a report. If the dog comes back on your property, just shoot and call the law. As said, should someones elses pet take precidence over your pets. No! Are your pets fenced and own your property, Yes!. A dog cant read no tresspassing signs and doesnt reconize property boundries, if allowed, its going to wander, But, I will guarantee you that if you go onto another persons property, or any property other than your own, and shoot someones dog, even tho you know for a fact, and can prove that dog killed your chickens, you will be the one in trouble.

Quote:
I object to this fear mongering. Killing an animal does not equal killing a human. Otherwise, we had better get rid of all our working dogs and our cats. My cat has been eying my chickens. Should I sleep with one eye open? My Boston Terrier would eat one of my chickens in a heartbeat AND she's the hardest to keep confined (and I am all about keeping dogs confined). Should I worry about a sneak attack? Perhaps, I should also wonder about the young man that brings me elk and venison on occasion. He does have guns and uses them after all...

As far as I can see, the real issue with the killing of the chickens is MANAGEMENT. The owners of the dogs are responsible for containing them and responsible for their behavior. Around here it doesn't matter if the dog is a Pomeranian or a Pit Bull - if it's after my livestock I will eliminate the problem.

To the OP, I am truly sorry that your sons Chickens have been killed. As parents we hurt when our kids hurt.

You can object to what you are calling fear mongering all you want the fact is the dog went through 2 fences .
The original poster did what was necessary to protect her animals, the owner of the dog in fact did not by allowing it out with a buddy to roam free.
single dog , maybe it escaped but 2 dogs out at the same time is a negligent owner.
As for Boston Terriers, My sister in law has one , smart , quick, well behaved etc etc, right up untill it comes in and spots the chicks in the brooder.
She has been told emphatically , you bring i here and it gets my chicks I will break its neck. case closed.
a dog is a dog I dont care what breed is doing the offense.

do not get me started comparing a hunter to a dog. people have reason of thought most animals do nt,

How did this turn into such a huge debate?
debating confining/ not confining/ spaying feral that were dumped/ not spaying feral that were dumped, I think this topic has gone way too far off topic.

We just had a 4 year old killed Sunday in his own back yard by 4 loose dogs. Not going to mentioned the breed.

Gate

Last edited:
The way I look at it is this:
My animals are contained in a fenced/penned area. They are literally to the point of nowhere to go...if an animal (beit dog, coyote, possum coon etc) gets in...it's done! My dog is also contained to a run. I don't expect to see other dogs/or their poop in my yard! We have a leash law...I follow it, I expect others to follow it! My animals don't have a choice as to the containment they are in...that doesn't make it fair game to whatever is breaking into the area they are in. We have a few acres behind us (semi rural here, county on my side, city on the other side of the road) which generates some wildlife activity behind us, we watch for them. Having a dog/animal on my property is hard enough...having one kill my animals...NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Again, breed doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hunting, no.
Grabbing, killing, fighting. The histroy of the pitt.

With so many wonderful breeds out there, I have never understood the want of this one, of course unless you had a need for one of the previously mentioned attributes.

Quote:
Never let a dog roam. My son was born ten weeks early becuse ofa friendly roaming dog. I was walking my Chi and the JRT came up , i picked my Chi up an the other dog ran cicles around me, i tripped over the flipping dog and a few hours later our son was born.

The bottom line is this: once a dog gets "the taste" it will return over and over again unless its owner takes control...One of my neighbors, who has a fancy iron gate all around his 5 acres and more money than brains, had an American bulldog (they're bred to kill 400+ lbs. wild boar hogs) who continually came to my yard and attacked my sweet gentle Golden Retriever. After the 5th attack, he finally got the picture and got rid of the dog. If I had not been so busy trying to save my Goldie, I would have run to our hiding place and retrieved the shotgun. My dog still walks with a slight limp after that last attack and I was very lucky I wasn't killed while beating that stupid dog with everything i could find! It was only after I jumped into the car and drove like the devil to the neighbors house honking all the way that he finally came running down the hill and got his dog. That's one of the reasons my run, under construction, will be built like Ft. Knox!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom