New Neighbors = pit bull = dead chickens

I hate this thread it reminds me that I am three hens down and the ones left have quit laying and yet every day I have to see that stupid mutt next door. In less than a year I have turned in two dogs that came into my yard. Than I did not have chickens. Yesterday another dog came along looking for a free meal. I consider myself a dog lover and have two of my own so instead of the gun coming out the firecrackers did. The stray left pretty quick. I hope I never have to shoot one but if I catch another one killing one of my hens it will be it's last meal.

o that was your chickens my dog i tale you what jkjk
lol.png

Quote:
My son was put on probation for shooting a Rotriler that killed their Yorkie in their own yard. I also live in the Gaines Mi. area.

Ijon, Do you live in town? I live about a mile out of town.

Holy cow, small world!!!! I live out in the country and in actuality I only have 1 person next door. Sometimes there are 2 different dogs that do come on the property, but I don't worry, they couldn't get out of their own way, let alone hurt any pets or livestock. In my situation, for the next few days I am setting in a ground blind trying to get either a pack of coyote's or wild dogs that have pretty much decimated my small flock of chickens.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens, and more sorry for your son. I have two pit bulls and I keep them chained, not dangerous to people but they do not like chickens. Not just them though, I have a jack russell terrier who would love to get ahold of some chicken dinner. I wanted to let our chickens free range but our large male lab decided he was hungry and got my buff roo. However, they have not grown up around chickens, just started getting chickens last fall so we built some good pens that the dogs can't get through. Most of them are made of strong wire, not just chicken wire and good sturdy frame. Have yet to have any of them get a chicken out of the pen. Luckily, we live on 105 acres in the middle of no where so our dogs don't have any neighbors to bother or else we would keep them all contained. But I would absolutely feel responsible if one of my dogs bothered the neighbors and your neighbors should take responsibilty for their dogs actions and replace the chickens or pay some sort of financial restitution.

I have a St Bernard that likes to play with my chickens. He's not viscious at all just playful. But my chickies don't have a chance against a 125 pound dog. They are more like squeeky toys. Dogs love to chase things that will run. They get excited and end up killing them. Thats not the case for them all but it is for my dog. He has to stay in a pen because he scares people because of his size. We let him out very briefly to have a good run every weekend.

Before we started pinning him up he saw 2 kids walking down the road, one of them was very small and he wanted to play. Well, he scared the daylights out of them and they where throwing rocks at him to make him go away and all he wanted to do was play. So he stays i the pen.

A few days ago I let my youngsters out of their temp pen and one flew in his pen. My favorite one too. He had her wrapped in his paws and was about to chew on her and my husband jumped the fence and got her away just in time. She has a bruised thigh and broken middle toe. She will be going back out in the temp pen today.

The only time I let the youngsters out of their pen is when I can sit out with them. I had to walk inside for a minute when it happened. I really need to get that pen built so they can get outin the run on their own. Right now I have 12 8 week olds in aon old rabbit hutch. My grown chickens want to peck at them so I can't put them together just yet.

Quote:
You know what, that is an excellent idea! Firecrackers!... I need to keep some on hand for my next door neighbor's Rottie mix who has started visiting my chicken run every time he gets away from his owner.
rant.gif

Robin'sBrood :

Quote:
You know what, that is an excellent idea! Firecrackers!... I need to keep some on hand for my next door neighbor's Rottie mix who has started visiting my chicken run every time he gets away from his owner.
rant.gif

heh chances are the Rotti will ignore the firecrackers.
once they focus nothing stops them, thats the way they are hard wired.
now an M80 might, might just get his attention. no guarentees.​

Right now he is still a puppy... a big puppy who has gotten his big dog voice, but still a puppy. He isn't nearly as big a pure breed, but he looks just like one. Since I've never actually "met" him and have never been nice to him, when I see him outside by the run now I just yell and he runs away. I hope it stays that way.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom