New to goats

Any puncture wounds? I believe with goats, tetanus can be a concern under such circumstances, however, the goat folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

You can put her on a course of penicillin. In fact that would be a good idea. Give it for a full 5 days. Inject it under the skin instead of in the muscle. You are much less likely to hit a nerve or get it in a blood vessel that way.

Here's a better picture of her udder, and her tail is purple because there's wound spray on it lol

Pregnant goats should receive CD&T boosters during their pregnancy. I give boosters 2x a year, timed right before pregnancy and the other 3-4 weeks before delivery.

CD&T boosters *prevent* the diseases, they do not treat *after exposure*. What you need after a wound or dog attack is Tetanus Antitoxin (available at TSC) or CD&T Antitoxin (difficult if not impossible to find...).

Okay so I went out to feed a little bit ago and the younger goat is giving birth! And of course today is the first day since we've moved in that my cousin isn't here at the house with me, so naturally I'm freaking out a little. But I've texted her and she'll be able to talk to me and help me if I need it, and I've called my grandpa and the vet to let them know what's going on and get advice. So far I've been advised to wait thirty minutes, and if nothing else happens to start pulling when she pushes (one foot is out right now). This is what my grandpa and the vet both told me. I'm very nervous/excited!

It did not go well. The baby was all twisted around and her head got stuck all the way back and the vet had to cuts its head off to get it out.

I'm sorry. Of all the presentations I hate to deal with that one the most. Not a good experience for your first time. Things should get better.

Back
Top Bottom