New to goats

Definitely not a good experience. I won't let it ruin me on goats though, hopefully we have better luck next time around. I think it was partly because she is such a young goat too. But I did milk her last night, and that was pretty successful for not having any prior milking experience. I have to discard the first 6 milkings because the vet gave her antibiotics, but I'm very excited to try it when the time comes! I've never even had goats milk before.

Good I lost a doe and baby like that a few years ago vet was doing a csection and mom lost to much blood and was to late for the baby

Yeah we knew the baby was long gone before I got there so he tried everything he could to prevent having to do a c section, he said they're hard on goats

What I'm trying to figure out now is the whole milking situation. I know I need a milking stand, bucket, strainer, glass jars etc. and to keep the milk as cold as possible as soon as possible. But with a goat that produces so little milk should I just keep a whole bunch of separate jars? Or should I put 2-3 days worth of milk in one jar to store it? Maybe put about 3 days worth in each jar and keep one in the fridge and freeze the rest? It's just the storing it that I'm really confused about

I milk my goats but I always have 2-6 in milk and I get 1-2 quarts from each so I can't help but I label mine with each goat and what date they were milked on my neighbor has 2 does and she mixes her milk but she doesn't drink it she makes soap with it

Hm. I'm just not sure how I should do, I think it'd be silly to store it seperate every single day, because I've just got one little goat, I'd have 20 glasses of milk sitting in the fridge

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It's never fun to have to do something like that. At least your doe made it. Some people lose the dam too. In hindsight, this is exactly why I said this statement before you got her:
I would've passed on that doeling if I were you and found the older doe a companion elsewhere.

That doeling was probably bred as a mistake, and a 10 month old doeling kidding can be disastrous, as unfortunately you found out the hard way. Most people wait until their goat is 12 months old to even BREED them. That way they will kid at 17 months. They will be much more developed and their frame will be larger and more ready to hold and birth kids. Again, sorry that had to happen.

Yeah, I knew I was assuming some risk when I bought her, but I was hoping for the best. I'm just glad the momma is okay. And I won't breed her in 2017, if I breed her I'll wait till 2018, give her break for a while. On the other hand I think the black one may have aborted her baby after the dog attack, she has slimmed down a lot. I'm going to wait a couple weeks and see what happens with her weight and udder, if she aborted would it be safe to go ahead and have her rebred around thanksgiving?

If she comes in heat, breed her. As for the other one, there is no point giving her a break unless you just don't want kids from her until later.

Back
Top Bottom