Nigerian Goats

I've read that Nigerians usually produce around a half gallon a day. If you have enough room I would try to get three or maybe four, so you can stagger their pregnancies. We have a family of 5 and I might get two, but would prefer three.

Ok, thank you!! could anyone tell me what you feed your does? we have LOTS of land (mostly wooded). would it be alright to have them browse?

Goats are browsers. It is certainly OK to let them browse. When they are milking I would think you would want to offer them some alfalfa and give them grain when you milk them. The condition of your goats is the best indication of what they need.

They will need a salt block. If it were me I would offer some alfalfa pellets in addition to the browse. Browse is sometimes low in protein.

They will need a goat or cattle LOOSE mineral. There is no reason to give them a salt block, and a trace mineral block does not contain enough mineral for them. If you give them a salt block in addition to the loose mineral, they will just eat it instead, and then will not eat the loose mineral because they've had their fill of salt.

They will need a goat or cattle LOOSE mineral. There is no reason to give them a salt block, and a trace mineral block does not contain enough mineral for them. If you give them a salt block in addition to the loose mineral, they will just eat it instead, and then will not eat the loose mineral because they've had their fill of salt.

I have not found that to be true at all. I always offered mine both a salt block and a loose mineral. I used an iodized salt block. I noticed they would go long periods without touching the mineral and then there were times they ate a lot of it. You don't want them to ingest more mineral than they need simply because they are after salt. Mineral content of feed varies and if a suitable mineral mix is available they will ingest it as necessary.

how hard is the birthing process? and what products can you make with the milk? thank you for all the help! and sorry for all the questions
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom